Home / News / Local News (page 50)

Local News

Allouez Township Fire Moves into Their New Fire Hall

The Allouez Township Fire Department has finished moving into their new home. For years the department saved money from a township millage to finance the construction of a larger facility to house their truck and equipment. In total the new building cost about 900,000 dollars, and the department did have …

Read More »

Northern Michigan University Makes First Cyber Security Symposium Free to the Public

The Upper Peninsula Cyber Security Institute (UPCI) at Northern Michigan University will host the first Cyber Security Symposium at the end of August. The symposium will bring together state, federal and private cyber security leaders to the area to discuss a variety of topics around being safe in an increasingly …

Read More »

L’Anse Village Approves Police Labor Deal

The Village of L’Anse has a new contract with its police officers.  At last night’s meeting, the village council approved a three-year agreement with members of the Police Officers Association of Michigan. Village Manager Bob LaFave said the deal provides hourly increases each year… It has a 75-cent raise the …

Read More »

Baraga County Accepts Grant for Sturgeon River Park

Baraga County’s new Sturgeon River recreation area in Covington Township is a step closer to reality. Last evening, county commissioners accepted the $2.7 million purchase money grant from the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund. That will cover 80 percent of the cost. The remaining 20 percent is being covered by …

Read More »

Ottawa Forest Advisory Committee Members Sought

The Ottawa National Forest is looking to fill volunteer positions on its federal Resource Advisory Committee. The committee is made up of 15 members that serve four-year terms. It usually meets twice per year, and virtual attendance is an option.  The RAC makes recommendations on the use of available Secure …

Read More »

Another Great Weekend, and Another Successful Triathlon

The Verna Mize Triathlon was another success this year. In all the triathlon had 33 racers, about ten more than their inaugural race last year. The youngest racer to participate was 8 year old Avery Roberts who came in second for the youth division. The winner of the Youth Division …

Read More »

Traffic on Townline Road Will Close Starting Tomorrow in Arvon Township

Thru traffic on Townline Road will close tomorrow in Arvon Township. Starting in the morning, Townline Road will be closed between Skanee Road and Beesley Road. The Baraga County Road Commission will replace culverts in the area, for better water drainage around the roadway. Traffic on Townline Road will reopen …

Read More »

Lake Linden House Fire Deemed “Suspicious”

A house fire in Lake Linden yesterday afternoon is being investigated as “suspicious” by the Houghton County Sheriff’s Department. The Lake Linden Fire Department was called out just after 4 pm to 510 Kilmar Street. Firefighters from Bootjack, Hubbell, Tamarack and Calumet Township eventually joined the effort.  Investigators say the …

Read More »

Chosa Named Queen at Baraga County Fair

The 2022 Baraga County Fair is in the books. This year’s event marked almost a full return to normal. There were no static exhibits, although some vendors were onsite. Animal shows were scaled back. Still, after COVID-19 canceled the fair in 2020, and forced a limited schedule last year, patrons …

Read More »

Baraga County Board to Consider Sturgeon River Park Grant Tonight

Baraga County could take another step toward the establishment of a new park in Covington Township tonight. At its regular monthly meeting, commissioners could approve the agreement with the Michigan Natural Resource Trust Fund, which will provide $2.7 million to help purchase the property. The area includes 1,184 acres of …

Read More »