The Keweenaw Report Calendar is brought to you by Houghton Community Broadcasting. To add an announcement for your non-profit, non-partisan community organization, send the information to HoughtonRadio@up.net. For best results, please submit your request at least two weeks in advance.
Scroll down past the calendar to see other general community announcements.
The Keweenaw County Sheriff’s Department is offering a free snowmobile safety class on Saturday, January 26th. At the end of the course, students can earn their state snowmobile certification. Kids between the ages of 12 and 17 must have state certification to operate snowmobiles independently, or cross streets and highways. The class runs from 9:00 until 4:00 at the Ahmeek Village Hall. Lunch will be provided. Class size is limited to 30 students (if the class limit is reached, another class may be scheduled in February). Students must be at least 12 years old by the end of this year. Sign up by January 25th by calling 337-0528.
The Baltic Ice Rink is open the following hours (weather permitting):
– Open Skate – Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 5:00 until 8:00 pm. No hockey sticks, pucks or nets are allowed.
– Family Skate – Sunday from 1:00 until 6:00 pm. No hockey sticks, pucks or nets are allowed.
– Kids Junior Hockey – Tuesday and Thursday from 4:00 until 8:00 pm.
– Adult Hockey (ages 15 and up) – Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 until 10:30 (you must scrape and flood).
Volunteers are needed to help staff the rink and the concession stand. Call Dave at 370-2724, Kristen at 369-4665, or Annette at 369-6642.
The Ahmeek Ice Rink is open (weather permitting), and needs volunteers to assist. For more information, including skating schedules, click here.
The Kenner Dome is open the following hours:
– Public Skating – Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 5:00 until 8:00 pm; Saturday from noon until 2:00; Sunday from noon until 2:00 and 5:00 until 6:00 (no sticks allowed).
– Youth Hockey – Tuesday and Thursday from 4:00 until 7:00 pm; Saturday and Sunday from 2:00 until 5:00 pm.
For more information, click here.