American Legion Baseball
The Copper Country Flames American Legion Baseball team split its doubleheader with the Marquette Blues yesterday, winning the first game 9-8, and dropping the second contest 12-2. Kade Farrell was winning pitcher in game one, and had two hits. Justin Normal had three hits. Jonah Horning had three hits in the second game. On Saturday, the Flames dropped both ends of a doubleheader against Menominee, 6-2 and 14-11. The Flames were held to just three hits in the opener. Brandon Norkol and Will Romano each had three hits in the nightcap.
Fast Pitch Softball
Play begins tonight in the Copper Country Women’s Fast Pitch Softball League. Superior National Bank will face Northern Michigan Land Brokers at the Bone Yard in Lake Linden.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball play tonight…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Harter’s Carquest faces Coca Cola/Monte Carlo at 6:15, and Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics at 7:30.
– At Hurontown, Luigi’s meets Downtowner Two at 6:15.
– At the Hancock Driving Park, McGann’s/Northern Auto plays A and S Industrial at 6:15, and Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s at 7:30.
Ryan Carpenter struggled, as the Detroit Tigers lost 12-2 to the Minnesota Twins yesterday. Carpenter left in the fourth inning, and was charged with eight runs on 10 hits.
The Tigers have today off, and open a series in Kansas City against the Royals tomorrow night. Spencer Turnbull will start against Jakob Junis. Pregame coverage will begin at 7:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Before yesterday’s game, the Tigers sent reliever Zac Reininger down to Toledo, and purchased the contract of veteran pitcher Carlos Torres from the Mud Hens.
The Milwaukee Brewers completed a sweep of their weekend series with the Pittsburgh Pirates, with a 5-2 victory yesterday. Mike Moustakas’ two-run homer in the eighth drove in the winning runs. Christian Yelich also homered. Chase Anderson allowed two runs over six effective innings.
The Brewers also have today off, and start a series in Houston against the Astros tomorrow night.
The Boston Bruins outskated the Saint Louis Blues 5-1 last night, to tie the NHL championship series at three wins per team. The Stanley Cup will be decided in game seven, Wednesday in Boston.
The NBA Championship Series continues tonight, when the Toronto Raptors host the Golden State Warriors. Toronto leads the series 3-1.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League competition tonight…
– At the Dreamland Bar, Dreamland Two faces Loading Zone.
– At the Drift Inn, Calumet One meets Calumet Electronics.
– At Rocky’s Bar, L and L takes on 41 Lumber.
– At Ahmeek Park, Drift Inn plays Dreamland One.
– At Agassiz Park, Ahmeek Fire Department faces Rocky’s Bar.
– At Buckie’s, Bucko’s Party Store plays Harter’s Party Store.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.