Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school hockey at the Trenton Showcase Friday…
– Calumet opened play with a 4-3 shootout loss to Northville. The Kings took an early lead on Brent Loukus’ goal three-and-a-half minutes into the game. The Mustangs responded with two goals, and led 2-1 at the end of the first quarter. Calumet reclaimed the lead in the second period with scores by Ed Beiring and Josh VanDenburg. Northville’s Danny Scorzo tied it in the third period. Because of the tight schedule at the Showcase, overtime periods are dispensed with. Northville scored on the first two shootout attempts to claim the victory. The Copper Kings outshot the Mustangs 30-21. Alex Studebaker took the loss in goal.
– Hancock scored the first goal of its game against Livonia Stevenson, but wound up losing 3-2. The opening tally by Tyler Turcotte was his first on the Bulldog varsity. Stevenson responded with three consecutive goals against Dawson Kero. The Bulldogs got one back when Bryan Lepisto scored midway through the third period, but they couldn’t force the tie. Kero took the loss in a game that was played mostly in the Hancock end. The Bulldogs were outshot 31-13.
– Houghton cruised to an easy 5-1 victory over Warren de la Salle. Seth Francois and Jacob Kruse gave the Gremlins a quick lead when they scored 15 seconds apart five minutes into the contest. Kruse netted his second goal of the game six minutes later. The Pilots’ only goal came late in the first period. Taavi Rajala added a goal for Houghton in the second period, and Ronald Olson tacked on an insurance tally early in the third. Will Stier stopped 24 shots to get the win in net.
– Calumet faces Romeo. Our broadcast will begin around 8:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Houghton plays Northville at 10:20. Our coverage will begin as soon as the Calumet game concludes.
– Hancock meets Birmingham Brother Rice at 10:40.
In boys high school basketball last night…
– Hancock defeated L’Anse 65-48.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell lost to Bessemer 66-46.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City earned a 65-37 homecoming win over Baraga.
– Jeffers stopped Ewen-Trout Creek 61-50. Jaden Wood scored 23 for the Jets. Jake Witt had 19 points and 18 rebounds for the Panthers.
– Chassell overpowered Republic-Michigamme 70-34.
– Ontonagon got past Wakefield-Marenisco 48-38.
The 20th-ranked Michigan Tech hockey team dropped a 4-2 decision at Bemidji State Friday night. The Huskies held a 2-1 lead after two periods, thanks to goals by Mitch Reinke and Cliff Watson. Bemidji State tied the score early in the third period, and took the lead with 14 minutes remaining. The Beavers added an empty-netter with a minute left. Those teams play again tonight in Bemidji.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams will play at Lake Superior State today.
The NMU hockey team blanked Bowling Green 3-0 Friday night. Those teams skate again tonight in Ohio.
Both Wildcats basketball teams will play at Northwood tomorrow.
The Finlandia University hockey team skates at Marian University tonight and tomorrow afternoon. The women’s hockey team has the weekend off.
The Finlandia women’s basketball team defeated North Central 88-77 Friday evening. The Lions trailed for most of the first three quarters, but connected on two-thirds of their shots and all of their free throws in the fourth quarter to take over the game. Houghton’s Kelsie Richards had 23 points and 10 rebounds. Dollar Bay’s Julia Daavettila added 23 points, and Hancock’s Molly Berg had a career-best 18 points.
The Finlandia men’s basketball team dropped a tight 79-78 decision to North Central University Friday evening. It was a seesaw battle until NCU ran off eight straight points, and opened up a nine-point lead with four-and-a-half minutes to go. The Lions battled back, and tied it with a Terrance Fuller jump shot with nine seconds remaining. A late foul by Nick Cercone sent NCU’s Travis Voigt to the line with less than a second remaining. He missed the first shot, but sank the second to seal the victory. Marcus Geralds led the Lions with 22 points. Brandon Robinson scored 16 points, including his 1,000th as a Lion.
Both Finlandia teams play at the University of Northwestern today.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer team has added a new player. Tyler Dillon is from Seminole High School in Florida.
The Portage Lake Pioneers lost to the DePere Deacons 7-4 Friday night. The Pioneers visit the Monroe Blues tonight.
The Calumet Wolverines have the weekend off.
The Detroit Red Wings broke their five-game losing streak with a 5-4 victory over the New York Islanders Friday night. Danny DeKeyser’ shot that bounced off two defensemen was the game-winner with 28 seconds left in regulation. Petr Mrazek made 32 saves to earn the win. The Wing skate at Nashville tonight. Faceoff is at 8:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Detroit Pistons won their second-straight game, defeating the Minnesota Timberwolves 116-108 Friday night. Marcus Morris scored a career-high 36 points for Detroit, and Jon Leuer added a career-best 24. The Pistons play at Indiana tonight.
The Atlanta Falcons and New England Patriots will play in the Super Bowl tomorrow. Pregame coverage begins around 2:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
Email sports stories and results to firstname.lastname@example.org.