Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In hockey Friday night, Calumet blanked Escanaba 5-0. Trevor Salata’s goal late in the first period turned out to be the game winner. Rory Anderson and Jack Sturos added second period tallies, and Brent Loukus and Matt Yeo taked on insurance goals in the final stanza. Nick Voelker stopped 15 shots to earn the shutout.
Hancock visits Escanaba this afternoon.
In the opening round of the Lake Superior Conference Tournament at the SDC Friday evening…
– Jeffers overpowered L’Anse 10-2.
– Kingsford pounded Negaunee 10-4.
The Flivvers and Jets will meet in the championship game today. The Purple Hornets and Miners will play in the consolation match.
In boys basketball Friday night…
– Chassell edged Calumet 62-59. Hunter Rautiola’s three-pointer in the closing seconds sealed the win for the Panthers.
– Houghton lost at Escanaba 69-39.
– Hancock fell to Ontonagon 64-54.
– Jeffers routed Lake Linden-Hubbell 71-43. Jaden Wood scored 29 for the Jets.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City lost a 71-68 heartbreaker at Bessemer. Devin Schmitz scored 39 for the Blue Bolts.
– Ewen-Trout Creek held Baraga to just 14 points in the first half, and cruised to a 70-39 Victory. Jake Witt of the Panthers scored his 1,000th career point. He had 24 in the game, and Austin Berglund added 20.
– L’Anse fell to West Iron County 69-37.
The Finlandia University women’s hockey lost 10-2 to St. Scholastica Friday night. The Lions wrap up their season against the Saints this afternoon. Faceoff is at 2:00 at the Houghton County Arena.
Both Finlandia basketball teams host Northland College today. The women’s game begins at 2:00, and the men’s game at 4:00 at the Paavo Nurmi Center.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams play at Ferris State today.
The MTU hockey team has the weekend off.
Both NMU basketball teams play at Grand Valley State today.
NMU hockey goalie Atte Tolvinen needed to complete scoreless two periods to set a new all-time NCAA scoreless streak in last night’s game against Minnesota State. His bid ended just three-and-a-half minutes into the contest, and the Mavericks went on to a 5-3 victory over the Wildcats. Tolvanen’s remarkable run produced five consecutive shutouts, and 220 straight saves. The Wildcats skate at Minnesota State again tonight.
The result of the Portage Lake Pioneers’ game against the West Bend Bombers Friday night was not reported. The Pioneers skate at Eagle River tonight.
The Calumet Wolverines host the West Bend Bombers tonight at 7:30 at the Colosseum.
The Detroit Red Wings entertain the Washington Capitals this afternoon. Faceoff is at 2:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
Email sports stories and results to email@example.com.