Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school hockey last night…
– Calumet scored five goals in a 5 1/2 minute stretch of the second period to blow away the Negaunee Miners 8-0. The game was called after two periods because of the mercy rule. Brent Loukus led the offense with a hat trick and an assist. Ed Beiring had two goals and an assist. Alex Studebaker improved to 7-0 on the season in net with his second shutout of the season – both against the Miners.
– Hancock blanked Marquette 6-0. Teddy Randell scored twice for the Bulldogs.
– L’Anse v Kingsford – not reported.
In hockey tonight…
– Houghton skates at Hancock in the annual Wing Ding game tonight. Faceoff is at 8:00. We’ll broadcast the game on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– L’Anse visits Ashland.
In girls basketball last night…
– Houghton overpowered Ontonagon 67-26. Kara Pietila and Sloane Zenner each scored 13, as the Gremlins remain unbeaten.
– Calumet defeated Escanaba 54-47.
– L’Anse got past Hancock 62-57.
– Baraga shut down Lake Linden-Hubbell 67-31.
– Chassell downed Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 54-33.
– Jeffers fell to Wakefield-Marenisco 47-42.
– Ewen-Trout Creek stopped Watersmeet 58-19
On the girls schedule tonight, L’Anse visits Ewen-Trout Creek for a game that was postponed from January 5th.
In boys action last night, Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Republic-Michigamme 56-46.
In boys action tonight…
– Houghton plays at Hancock in the annual Wing Ding game. Tip-off is at 6:00. Our pregame coverage will begin around 5:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Calumet travels to West Iron County.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at L’Anse.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City visits Ontonagon.
– Jeffers welcomes Chassell for Homecoming.
– Baraga journeys to Republic-Michigamme.
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team cruised to a 79-61 victory over Wayne State last night. Four Huskies scored in double figures, led by Elizabeth Kelliher with 21 points.
The MTU men’s team fell behind early, and lost to the Warriors 68-47. Kyle Monroe scored 25 for the Huskies.
Both Tech hoops teams welcome Saginaw Valley State tomorrow. Start times will be earlier than usual because of Winter Carnival. The women’s game will tip off at noon, followed by the men’s contest at 2:00.
The MTU hockey team will host Ferris State for the annual Winter Carnival series this weekend. Faceoffs are at 7:07 tonight, and 5:07 tomorrow night.
The Northern Michigan University women’s basketball team lost a 62-60 heartbreaker to Saginaw Valley State last evening. The NMU men’s team dropped an even closer 63-62 decision to the Cardinals. Two free throws with a half-second remaining gave SVSU the win.
Both NMU basketball teams will entertain Wayne State tomorrow.
The NMU hockey team hosts Alaska-Fairbanks tonight and tomorrow night.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team wraps up its season at home against Lake Forest College this weekend. Faceoffs are at 2:00 this afternoon, and 5:00 tomorrow at the Houghton County Arena.
The Lions women’s hockey squad welcomes St. Norbert for games at 5:00 this evening and 1:30 tomorrow afternoon.
Both Finlandia basketball teams host Martin Luther College tonight. The women’s game starts at 6:30, and the men’s contest at 8:30 at the Paavo Nurmi Center. Both Finlandia teams will entertain Bethany Lutheran College tomorrow. The women’s contest starts at 4:00, and the men’s at 6:00.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer team has added another new player. Connor Bates was an Academic All-Stater at Barron High School in Wisconsin.
In Great Lakes Hockey League play, the Calumet Wolverines visit the Eagle River Falcons tonight. The Portage Lake Pioneers play at Eagle River tomorrow night.
The Detroit Red Wings lost to the Washington Capitals 6-3 last night. Petr Mrazek took the loss in net. The Wings skate at Columbus tomorrow. Faceoff is at 5:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Detroit Pistons host the San Antonio Spurs tonight. Tipoff is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
Email sports stories and results to firstname.lastname@example.org.