Click on the bold scores for more details.
On today’s high school softball schedule…
– Houghton plays at Hancock. Pregame coverage begins around 3:45 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Calumet plays at L’Anse in a makeup game.
Miguel Cabrera homered in his return from the disabled list, as the Detroit Tigers defeated the Cleveland Indians 5-2 last night. Justin Verlander gave up two runs on four hits over seven effective innings to get the win. Francisco Rodriguez put runners on the corners with two outs in the ninth, but got Francisco Lindor to pop out to end the game, and earn his seventh save.
The Tigers host Cleveland again tonight. Matthew Boyd will start against Carlos Carrasco. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:45 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
To make room for Cabrera on the roster, the Tigers optioned John Hicks to Toledo. They may need to get him back – Cabrera left last night’s game in the eighth inning after his groin muscle tightened up in the cold weather. He’ll be evaluated today.
The Milwaukee Brewers fell to the St. Louis Cardinals 2-1 last night. Wily Peralta pitched five shutout innings, but took the loss when two runners he put on base in the sixth scored off reliever Jacob Barnes. The Brewers play at St. Louis again tonight. Chase Anderson will pitch against Adam Wainwright.
In the NHL playoffs last night…
– The Rangers beat the Senators 4-1. Ottawa leads that set 2-1.
– The Predators edged the Blues 2-1. Nashville leads that series 3-1.
– The Capitals visit the Penguins. Pittsburgh leads that series 2-1.
– The Oilers host the Ducks. Edmonton leads that series 2-1.
The Detroit Red Wings have signed Czech goalie Matej Machovsky to a one-year contract. He’s played the past four seasons in the top league in the Czech Republic, and is expected to be assigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins.
In the NBA playoffs last night…
– The Celtics defeated the Wizards 129-119 in overtime. Boston leads that set 2-0.
– The Warriors downed the Jazz 106-94 the opening game of their second-round series.
– The Cavaliers host the Raptors. Cleveland leads that series 1-0.
– The Spurs entertain the Rockets. Houston leads that set 1-0.
Two Hancock High School hockey standouts will join the Finlandia Lions next season. Devyn LaCourt and Cam Murray each earned three varsity letters for the Bulldogs, and were members of the 2016 state championship team.
Two L’Anse athletes will also be continuing their careers at Finlandia. Maegan Kraft will join the softball team. She was the Copper Country Conference pitcher of the year last season as a junior. Alexis Francois will join the women’s basketball team. She earned All-WestPac honors as a junior for the Purple Hornets.
Our high school spring sports coverage will begin today, as the Houghton softball team plays a doubleheader at Hancock. Pregame coverage will start around 3:45 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports stories and results to firstname.lastname@example.org.