Thursday’s Western Upper Peninsula Health Department update revealed a new COVID-19 death in Houghton County, even as cases remain relatively low. The Copper Country is not seeing the spike found downstate. Houghton, Baraga, and Keweenaw Counties saw 23 cases over a three-day period, lower than the same time frame the week prior. That compares with 13 recoveries.
Vaccinations are accelerating as Houghton County joins the rest of the region at over 20%. Eligibility expands to all adults Monday.
- TOTAL: 31 more positives, 1 more probable positives, 23 more recoveries, 2 deaths and 22.80% fully vaccinated (up from 21.90% — meaning 496 more people)
- BARAGA COUNTY: 3 more positives and 22.68% fully vaccinated (up from 22.41%)
- GOGEBIC COUNTY: 7 more positives, 2 less probable positives, 8 more recoveries, 1 death and 24.66% fully vaccinated (up from 23.83%)
- HOUGHTON COUNTY: 21 more positives, 3 more probable positives, 12 more recoveries, 1 death and 20.58% fully vaccinated (up from 19.45%)
- KEWEENAW COUNTY: 1 less positive, 1 more recovery and 27.35% fully vaccinated (up from 25.91%)
- ONTONAGON COUNTY: 1 more positive, 2 more recoveries and 30.32% fully vaccinated (up from 29.84%)
The full report is here.