Click on the bold scores for more details.
Daniel Norris struggled, as the Detroit Tigers lost to the Tampa Bay Rays 8-1 yesterday afternoon. Detroit’s only run came on a leadoff homer by Ian Kinsler. Norris gave up five runs before leaving with two outs in the fifth inning. Warwick Saupold finished the game, and gave up three runs. In their three losses in Florida, the Tigers were outscored 21-9.
The Tigers open a weekend series at Minnesota tonight. Justin Verlander will start against Hector Santiago. Pregame coverage will begin at 7:45 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Milwaukee Brewers held off the St. Louis Cardinals 7-5 last night. Travis Shaw, Eric Thames and Jett Bandy homered for Milwaukee. Zach Davies gave up four runs before leaving in the sixth inning, but got the win. The Brewers host the Cardinals again tonight. Wily Peralta will pitch against Adam Wainwright.
In baseball today…
– Calumet visits the Gogebic Miners.
– Hancock plays at L’Anse.
– The Houghton game at Jeffers has been canceled because of poor field conditions.
In softball today…
– Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at Houghton.
– Hancock hosts Rapid River.
The Finlandia University baseball team plays at North Central University today and tomorrow.
The Finlandia softball team plays at Mount Mary University today, and Maranatha Baptist University tomorrow. The Lions return home to host Northland College Sunday afternoon at 3:30.
In the NHL playoffs last night…
– The Predators completed a sweep of the Blackhawks with a 4-1 victory.
– The Penguins advanced to the next round with a 5-2 win over the Blue Jackets.
– The Rangers edged the Canadiens 3-2 in overtime. New York leads that series 3-2.
– The Oilers slipped past the Sharks 4-3 in overtime. Edmonton holds a 3-2 lead in that set.
– The Senators face the Bruins. Ottawa leads that series 3-1.
– The Capitals meet the Maple Leafs. That set is tied 2-2.
In the NBA playoffs last night…
– The Cavaliers outscored the Pacers 119-114. Cleveland leads that series 3-0.
– The Bucks shut down the Raptors 104-77. Milwaukee is up 2-1 in that set.
– The Grizzlies defeated the Spurs 105-94. San Antonio leads that series 2-1.
– The Celtics face the Bulls. Chicago lead that series 2-0.
– The Rockets play the Thunder. Houston leads that set 2-0.
– The Clippers take on the Jazz. That series is tied 1-1.
The Green Bay Packers and the Detroit Lions have released their 2017 schedules. The teams will face each other in a Monday night game November 6th in Green Bay, and on the final Sunday of the regular season, December 31st, in Detroit. The Packers will open at home against the Seahawks on September 10th. They’ll play a Thursday night game against the Bears on September 28th. The Lions will open at home against the Cardinals on September 10th. They’ll face the Giants on Monday night, September 18th. The Thanksgiving game will be against the Vikings. Check out the Packers schedule here, and the Lions schedule here.
Ski Tigers Swap
The Copper Country Ski Tigers outdoor gear swap will be held tomorrow at the Houghton High School Multi-Purpose Room. You can buy and sell outdoor gear, including bikes, kayaks, canoes, camping gear, soccer equipment, skis, snowboards and outdoor clothing.
Items to be sold may be dropped off on this evening between 5:00 and 7:30 pm, or tomorrow between 9:00 and 9:45. The sale runs from 10:00 until noon tomorrow. Pick up your cash or unsold items between 1:00 and 2:00. There is a 15 percent commission, with a $50 maximum, charged on all items sold. That money supports the Ski Tigers racing team.
You may also bring your skis and snowboards to be waxed for a nominal fee.
Email sports stories and results to firstname.lastname@example.org.