Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In girls high school basketball last night…
– Calumet got past Negaunee 57-47. Hailey Wickstrom had 35 points and 15 rebounds for the Copper Kings. See video highlights from the game here.
In boys action last night…
– Calumet edged Chassell 63-57.
– Jeffers shut down Houghton 63-29.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City squeaked past Ewen-Trout Creek 59-56. Devin Schmitz scored 17 points for the Blue Bolts. Jake Witt had 22 points and 20 rebounds for the Panthers.
– The Lake Linden-Hubbell game at Republic-Michigamme was postponed until tomorrow.
The Finlandia University basketball games against North Central University last night were postponed to February 20th.
Seth Jones’ goal in overtime gave the Columbus Blue Jackets a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings last night. Nick Jensen gave the Wings an early lead. Columbus responded with a pair of first period goals. Tomas Vanek’s tip-in of a Justin Abdelkader pass during a five-on-three power play tied the contest in the second period. Petr Mrazek made 24 saves for Detroit. The Wings skate at Washington tomorrow night. Faceoff is at 7:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Detroit Pistons host the Los Angeles Lakers tonight. Tipoff is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Green Bay Packers have released running back James Starks. Starks missed most of last season with a pair of injuries, and was supplanted in the backfield by converted receiver Ty Montgomery.
Former Detroit Tigers infielder Eric Aybar has signed a free agent contract with the San Diego Padres. Aybar was obtained by Detroit from the Atlanta Braves in August, in exchange for Mike Aviles. The Tigers had shown no interest in keeping him. Detroit has signed journeyman outfielder David Lough, who played in the Phillies’ system last season. He’ll be assigned to Toledo.
Our high school hockey coverage continues tomorrow night, when Calumet hosts Negaunee. The pregame show will begin around 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports stories and results to firstname.lastname@example.org.