In high school hockey last night…
- Calumet defeated Houghton 4-2. Gabe Coppo put the Copper Kings on the board late in the first period. The Gremlins’ Nathan Erva tied it early in the second. Dean Loukus re-established the Calumet lead late in the second period, and then scored the eventual game-winner early in the third period. Ty Halonen tightened the score for Houghton with 16 seconds remaining, but Loukus’ third goal of the night into the empty net eight seconds later sealed the win for the Kings. Alex Studebaker stopped 17 shots for Calumet, and Jimmy Pietila made 33 saves for Houghton.
- The Negaunee at Jeffers game was postponed to tomorrow night.
- The Hancock at Marquette contest was delayed to tonight. Our broadcast will begin around 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In boys high school basketball last evening…
- Calumet defeated L’Anse 71-50.
- The Lake Linden-Hubbell game at Wakefield-Marenisco was postponed to tonight.
- The Dollar Bay-Tamarack City game at Baraga was delayed to tonight.
- The Watersmeet at Jeffers contest was postponed to tomorrow.
- Chassell defeated Ontonagon 71-58.
- Bessemer edged Ewen-Trout Creek 44-43.
In girls high school basketball last night…
- Hancock defeated Lake Linden-Hubbell 44-20.
- The Chassell game at Republic-Michigamme was postponed – no make-up date has been announced.
- Ewen-Trout Creek smothered Bessemer 66-9.
Tonight, the Jeffers gym will do double duty, as the Jets boys host Chassell, and the girls entertain Baraga. The boys JV contest will start at 4:15, followed by the varsity at 5:45. The girls varsity game will begin at 7:20. There will be no girls JV contest.
Also on the boys schedule tonight, Hancock welcomes Ontonagon in a game that was postponed from January 25th.
In girls action tonight, Baraga plays at Jeffers in a make-up game from January 31st.
The Finlandia University men’s basketball game at Silver Lake College yesterday afternoon was canceled.
The Detroit Red Wings snapped the three-game losing streak with a 3-2 victory over the Nashville Predators last evening. Luke Glendening, Dylan Larkin and Andreas Athanasiou scored, and Jimmy Howard made 32 saves. The Wings host the Ottawa Senators tomorrow. Pregame coverage will start at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Boston Celtics tonight. Pregame coverage begins at 7:05 on 99.3 The Lift.
Former Detroit Tigers television broadcaster Mario Impemba has found a new job. Reports from Boston say Impemba will join the radio play-by-play team with the Red Sox.
Our Finlandia University hockey coverage continues this weekend, as the men’s team opens the Harris Cup Tournament at Saint Norbert College. Pregame shows will begin at 7:40 Friday and Saturday evenings on 99.3 The Lift, and 993TheLift.com.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.