Want a little good news?
Here are 10 Good Things that happened in Houghton in the last two weeks, as compiled by City Manager Eric Waara.
- The Houghton Police Department donated time to Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly and helped cook at a local church on Thanksgiving.
- Houghton made another internet list among the safest places to live in Michigan.
- Initial reports were that Small Business Saturday was a very busy day downtown.
- Ladies’ Night was reported to be another successful evening downtown.
- The rest of the banners were installed on the new Lakeshore Drive light poles to add some color.
- The city got an email from a resident calling out their Department of Public Works for “outstanding service” in addressing a complaint and then going above and beyond to remedy it. The resident commented that this type of thing is why they love living here.
- The Sigma Pi’s have a sizeable check for charity from their haunted house on Halloween.
- The warm-up has created time for DPW to get in several days of extra road patching and other non-snow work.
- Houghton again was awarded Silver Bicycle Friendly Community Status.
- Downtown Houghton will have a lit Christmas tree this year.