Here are 10 Good Things That Happened in Houghton in the Last 2 Weeks, as compiled by Houghton City Manager Eric Waara:
- Last week, Houghton was ranked #43 nationally out of the “100 Most Popular Small Cities to Relocate 2017” by movebudda.com.
- Schools.com rated Houghton as #18 of the “Best College Towns 2017”, a national list. Houghton is also the smallest town on the list, which was generated based on age of population, education, rent, employment, commute time, walkability and entertainment.
- The snow stopped and the sun came out for Treat Street.
- Make a Difference Day drew a couple hundred volunteers who helped with City park and garden cleanup.
- This week, the city of Houghton was informed it made the University of Michigan—Dearborn’s “eCities 2017 4-Star Community” list. 277 Michigan communities were analyzed based on property values, assets, growth, business climate and increasing capital assets.
- The new lights are installed on Lakeshore Drive.
- The Monstrous Mite Tournament at the Dee this past weekend brought hundreds of additional people to Houghton.
- The US Coast Guard Cutter Alder called and is planning on mooring in Houghton next week. It is usually a sight to see.
- Daily walking traffic seems to be up in downtown. It looks like more people are out and about.
- The salt shipment arrived, the plows are ready and DPW is ready for winter.
With the first winter storm of the season already here, they’d better be.