Visit Keweenaw has awarded eight grants to help local organizations involved in outdoor recreation projects.
The 2022 Destination Development Program Awards are designed to help enhance visitor experiences across Houghton and Keweenaw Counties. The recipients will be required to match the grants one-to-one.
Awards were presented to:
• The Keweenaw Snowmobile Club – $10,000 for construction of a snowmobile trail groomer barn;
• The Copper Harbor Trails Club – $10,000 for the Pump Track and Skills Loop at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge;
• The City of Hancock – $4,500 for historic commemorative plaques in downtown Hancock;
• The Carnegie Museum of the Keweenaw – $3,800 for signs for a downtown Houghton historic walking tour;
• Chassell Township – $2,800 for historic interpretive signage;
• Calumet Township – $2,300 for fat-tire bike grooming equipment;
• The Copper Harbor Improvement Association – $2,000 for Visitor Center improvements; and
• The Keweenaw ATV Club – $1,800 ATV trail kiosks and safety information.
Visit Keweenaw was formerly known as the Keweenaw Convention and Visitors Bureau. Executive Director Brad Barnett said he hopes the grant program will continue and expand, with the next opportunity for applications coming this fall.