A home in Atlantic Mine was destroyed by fire yesterday afternoon. The alarm was called in around 3:30.
Firefighters and first responders from Adams Township, Hurontown, South Range, Stanton Township, Otter Lake and Twin Lakes battled the blaze.
No injuries were reported. The Houghton County Sheriff’s Department reports that the fire was started by a deep fryer on the stove.
The Pigs N Heat Fund is providing money to house the family in a hotel for several nights.
A natural gas leak closed US-41 on Quincy Hill for several hours yesterday afternoon. The highway was reopened to traffic around 7:30 last evening.