The Portage Health Foundation (PHF) has a scholarship program for students graduating from the belowlisted high schools in Baraga, Houghton, Keweenaw, and Ontonagon counties. PHF will award one (1) $500 scholarship to a graduating senior (AY 2018/19) from each school.
The scholarship is a one-time award. PHF’s intention is that recipients use the scholarship to help pay for education costs at a postsecondary school of their choosing.
The successful recipient will meet the below-referenced criteria and their principal and/or school counselor(s) will nominate them to PHF who will anonymously review the finalist applications to make an award decision.
Please note that this scholarship award is separate from the PHF “Making a Difference Scholarship” program administered by Michigan Tech University.
- Baraga Area H.S.
- L’Anse H.S.
- Calumet-Laurium-Keweenaw H.S.
- Chassell H.S.
- Dollar Bay-Tamarack City H.S.
- Hancock Central H.S.
- Houghton H.S.
- Jeffers H.S.
- Lake Linden-Hubbell H.S.
- Ewen-Trout Creek H.S.
- Ontonagon Area Junior/Senior H.S.
- The student must graduate during the 2018-2019 academic year (5th year seniors, such as students in early college programs, are eligible to apply);
- The student must have at least a 2.5 GPA;
- The student must demonstrate current interest in health-related fields of study or be active or demonstrate past activity in HOSA-Future Health Professionals;
- The student must be accepted for admission to a post-secondary institution (proof of acceptance must be shown – however, if the student has not received notification of acceptance, they must attach evidence that they have applied to a school and indicate when they anticipate receiving notification from that school);
- The student must be intending to seek a post-secondary degree or certification in a health-related field of study;
- The student must demonstrate engagement in school and/or community activities; and
- The student must write a cover letter and accompanying essay in support of their application.
- The student must submit a completed application to their principal or school counselor’s office by 3:00 p.m. on February 25, 2019. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The principal or school counselor must notify PHF of the school’s two nominees for the scholarship and provide a copy of the students’ applications and accompanying documents by March 4, 2019.
Materials may be sent to: PHFoundation ATTN: Scholarships 400 Quincy St. – PO Box 299 Hancock, MI 49930
The PHF Grants Management Committee will anonymously review the finalist applications and make the award selections. PHF will mail award letters on or before April 19, 2019.
A form-fillable application may be downloaded at www.phfgive.org/request-grants.php