Students in grades 6-8 are invited to take part in After School Science and Engineering Classes at Michigan Tech.
The six session program is called Taste of Tech and will meet on Mondays 4:00-5:30 pm from April 1 to May 13 (doesn’t meet April 22).
In addition to learning about the university…participants will explore possible future careers.
Each week, middle school students will visit a different lab on campus to learn about some really cool research and meet the scientists and engineers behind the scenes.
- Investigate how engineers design buildings to withstand earthquakes
- Learn how engineers are designing a way to use air bubbles to protect bridges in a stream simulation lab.
- Design a train system that avoids crashes!
- Meet a scientist seeking to stop a 1/2″ insect from destroying entire forests
- Work with a chemist in the lab to discover how some liquids can corrode surfaces — using candy!
- Test your driving skills (while talking on a cell phone!) in a real driving simulator
The cost is $90 per student and online registration is open until March 28th.
2019 Spring Registration
Pay by credit card by using this link: Payments(Your space is not reserved until payment has been received. Minimum of 10 participants.)
Houghton Middle School bus will drop off students on Cliff Drive where they’ll be met by the instructor. Lamers will provide bus transportation from Houghton Middle School at no additional charge!
The program is coordinated by the Michigan Tech Center for Science and Environmental Outreach.