Five Copper Country governmental units will receive a half-million dollars from the state to help train and recruit first responders.
Grants were awarded to:
• The City of Houghton, for $141,200
• Keweenaw County, for $82,172
• Ontonagon County, for $100,000
• The Village of Baraga, for $96,980
• The Village of Laurium, for $74,587.81
The awards are among 60 grants distributed across the state from the $5 million First Responder Training and Grant Program.
The money can be used to help hire and train firefighters, police officers, paramedics, EMTs, and local corrections officers.