At 7 am this morning Houghton sheriff deputies responded to a bus fire on Askel Road. The bus driver had just started her route, and no students were on the bus. The driver pulled over to the side of road due to a loss in power steering. Lamars Bus was called out for an inspection. When the hood was opened investigators noticed sparks coming from the engine bay, resulting in a fire. A fire extinguisher was used to subdue the fire, but it reignited engulfing the bus. No one was injured. Houghton sheriff was assisted by Otter Lake Fire and Pelkie Fire Departments. The bus is a total loss.
Photos provided by a community member