Click on the highlighted scores for full stories.
In boys’ high school basketball last night…
– Calumet shut down Baraga 61-36.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell remained unbeaten with a 55-49 victory over Ewen-Trout Creek.
– Hancock dropped a 36-35 heartbreaker to West Iron County.
– Houghton slammed Ontonagon 80-41.
– L’Anse defeated Jeffers 53-49. Zach Nicholas scored 20 for the Jets.
– Chassell got past Dollar Bay 52-47. The Blue Bolts took an early lead, but the Panthers forged ahead just before halftime. Dollar Bay came back to tie the game in the final minutes, but some clutch free throws by Chassell sealed the victory. Zach Goddard led all scorers with 17 points for the Panthers. Nick Pietila added 15. Steve Joyal scored 16 for the Blue Bolts, and Alex Provoast added 13.
In high school hockey last night, Calumet skated past Negaunee 6-4.
Tech Women’s Hoops Rises in Rankings
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team has risen to 15th in the latest Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Division II poll. The Huskies have won six in a row, and have lost just once this season. You can see the entire poll here.
NHL – Red Wings Hold Off Panthers
The Red Wings scored four goals in the second period, and then held off the Panthers to earn a 5-4 win last night. Luke Glendening scored twice, and Stephen Weiss had a goal and two assists against his former team. The Wings skate at Tampa Bay tomorrow night. Faceoff is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
NBA – Pistons Fall to Cavaliers
LeBron James scored 32 points, as the Cavaliers defeated the Pistons 103-95 last night. D.J. Augustin led Detroit with 19 points. Greg Monroe had 17 points and 12 rebounds. The Pistons play at Philadelphia tonight. Tip-off is at 7:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
Our high school hockey coverage continues tomorrow night, when Houghton entertains Kingsford. Hear the Copper Country’s most complete hockey and basketball coverage this winter on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com. Hear the Super Bowl Sunday on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.