A widening problem with pig ear treats for dogs has reached our state.
Tests run by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development on pig ears purchased at two retail establishments found salmonella bacteria on some. Michigan becomes the 13th state to identify the contamination.
While no illnesses have been identified in Michigan, the Centers for Disease Control have counted 45 infections resulting in a dozen hospitalizations across the country. Some cases involve drug-resistant salmonella strains.
Contaminated pig ears could make your dog sick. Symptoms could be mild enough that you don’t notice, or could include bloody diarrhea, vomiting, fever, and fatigue. Salmonella can be passed from your pet to you, through contact with saliva or feces. You could also become infected by handling the contaminated pig ears.
No common distributor has been identified, so MDARD has issued a consumer advisory for all pig ears purchased in bulk anywhere in the state. Officials recommend that you throw out any pig ears you have, and wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after you have handled them.