In high school boys basketball last night…
– Houghton defeated Ishpeming 75-65. Brad Sirard led the Gremlins with 33 points, and George Butvilas added 31.
– Jeffers outscored Republic-Michigamme 66-53.
– Ontonagon edged Ewen-Trout Creek 57-56.
In boys play tonight…
– Lake Linden-Hubbell entertains Bessemer in a game that was postponed last Friday, and again on Monday.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City entertains Watersmeet in a game that was postponed from January 8th and again on January 29th. There will be no JV contest, and the varsity will tip off at 5:45.
In girls action this evening…
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City will host Chassell. There will be no JV contest, and the varsity game will tip off around 7:15, after the Dollar Bay-Watersmeet boys game.
– Houghton welcomes Ontonagon.
– Hancock visits L’Anse.
– Calumet hosts Escanaba for Parents Night.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell tips off at Baraga.
– Jeffers travels to Wakefield-Marenisco
– Ewen-Trout Creek entertains Watersmeet.
In high school hockey tonight…
– Calumet hosts Negaunee. Our broadcast will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Jeffers skates at Kingsford.
Both Finlandia University basketball teams lost to the College of Saint Scholastica last night. The women’s squad fell 53-49. Katie Lundeen scored 22 points. The men’s team lost 85-59. Jamal DeShields-Beard, Jacob Oom and Tyler Browner each scored 12 points for the Lions.
The Lions have introduced a new women’s soccer player. Madelyn Waterman comes from Swan Valley High School near Saginaw.
Both Michigan Tech basketball squads host Northland University tonight. The women tip off at 5:30, and the men at 7:30.
Both Northern Michigan University teams entertain Saginaw Valley State University.
Michigan Tech added 36 new players to its football program yesterday. Nine are from the Upper Peninsula, including two local players – kicker Brendan LeClaire from Dollar Bay, and linebacker Travis Ojala from Calumet. See the full list of new Huskies here.
Northern Michigan University signed up 26 players, with six from the Upper Peninsula. See the full list of new Wildcats here.
The Detroit Red Wings entertain the Vegas Golden Knights tonight. Pregame coverage will start at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons will host the New York Knicks tomorrow. Pregame coverage begins at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Pistons’ lineup will look a lot different tomorrow. Yesterday, Detroit agreed to trade Reggie Bullock to the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for forward Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk and a 2021 second-round draft pick. The deal is expected to be finalized today. Mykhailiuk was L-A’s second round draft pick last spring.
Detroit also sent Stanley Johnson to the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for center Thon Maker. Maker is just 21 years old. He had requested a trade because of limited playing time in Milwaukee.
The annual Barneløpet will be held Sunday at the Maasto Hihto trails. The Barneløpet features Nordic ski races for children ages three through 17. Registration begins at 1:00 in the chalet in Hancock. Events will begin at 2:00, and awards and snacks will be handed out after the activities are complete. There is no charge for kid to take part. For more details, click here.
Our Finlandia University hockey coverage continues Saturday night, when the Lions men’s team entertains St. Norbert College. The pregame show will start at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift, and 993TheLift.com.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.