For the first time, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has pardoned a turkey in advance of Thanksgiving.
Yesterday, she issued the stay of execution to a 16-week-old tom from the Mitten Misfits Farm Sanctuary in Grand Ledge, a nonprofit rescue farm run by Bob and Victoria Worthy.
Whitmer also christened the bird “Mitch E. Gander.” The name was submitted by Seneca of Grand Rapids and Mia of Harper Woods, and was one of more than 6,000 entries in a statewide contest.
Some runner-up name suggestions included:
• Tahquamenon Tom from Kerry, Chesterfield, and Ben in Ann Arbor
• Turcules from Jack in Brighton
• Otto Moe Beel from David in Ann Arbor
• Ryan Gobbling from Christian in Ishpeming
• Simon Fowl from Jennifer in Taylor
• Lynyrd from Dorothy, Chelsea, and Mike in Alpena
• Mack E. Gnaw from the Hayes family in Cadillac
• Roger Featherer from Joan in Kalamazoo
• Steve Thighzerman from Sean in Ypsilanti
• Tom Thanks from Sean in Ypsilanti and Elarose in Big Rapids
• Teddy Roostavelt from Michelle in Manistee.