In high school hockey Saturday…
• Houghton outskated Salem 4-1. Matthew Rowe, Camden Markham, Mike Maillette and Landon Stevens scored for the Gremlins. Bryant Lee made 16 saves.
• Hancock lost to Bay Port 6-0.
• Jeffers fell 2-1 at Manistique.
Ethan Bell’s jump shot at the buzzer gave the Grand Marais Polar Bears a 32-30 victory over the Copper Country Christian School boys basketball team Saturday. Caleb Bach 16 points and 13 rebounds for the Warriors.
The Houghton swim team v Sault Ste. Marie Saturday – no report.
Three third-period goals gave the 18th-ranked Michigan Tech hockey team a 5-2 victory over Bemidji State Saturday night, and a sweep of their weekend series. Alec Broetzman scored twice. Logan Gainey, Tommy Parrottino and Tyrell Buckley also found the net. Blake Pietila made 16 saves.
The NMU hockey team learned a split in their weekend series against Lake Superior State with a 2-1 overtime victory Saturday night.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team hung tough for two periods against the Milwaukee School of Engineering, before falling 6-3 Saturday afternoon. The Lions led 2-1 at the end of the first period, with goals from Flynn Perry and Sheldon Brett. MSOE tied the contest early in the second period, and put the game away with four goals in a testy, penalty-filled third stanza. Brendan Erickson added a power play goal for Finlandia in the final period. Marcus Gloss made 28 saves.
For the first time in four years, the Finlandia women’s hockey team has won back-to-back games. The Lions completed a weekend sweep of Lawrence University with a 2-1 victory Saturday afternoon. After the Vikings grabbed an early lead, Aleah Giddings tied the contest early in the second period. Michaela Powers’ power play goal early in the third was the game-winner. Kayla Savoie-Penton made 20 saves.
The Finlandia University women’s basketball team won its fifth straight game Saturday, downing Bay College 64-44. Bailey Froberg led the Lions with 20 points and seven steals.
The Finlandia men’s team lost a tight 71-67 game to Bay College. Rae’quan Funches had 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Lions.
The Michigan Tech Nordic ski teams wrap up their own invitational today with the classic competition at the Tech Trails. In the freestyle competition Saturday, Kjetil Banerud from Northern Michigan University won the 15K men’s race. MTU skiers claimed four of the top seven positions. Tech’s Anabel Needham won the 10K women’s event, with Henriette Semb of the Huskies in second place. See full results from Saturday’s freestyle competition, including youth races, here.
The Portage Lake Pioneers fell to the De Pere Deacons 6-0 Saturday evening.
The Detroit Red Wings couldn’t hold an early lead, and lost 7-4 to the Toronto Maple Leafs Saturday night. Two goals by Dylan Larkin, and single tallies by Vladislav Namestnikov and Tyler Bertuzzi gave Detroit a 4-2 lead after two periods. The Leafs then scored five straight, including two empty-netters, to take the game. Alex Nadeljkovic made 30 saves.
The Wings entertain the Anaheim Ducks Monday night. Coverage begins at 7:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons host the Cleveland Cavaliers this evening.
The NFL conference championship games will be played today. The Cincinnati Bengals will visit the Kansas City Chiefs for the AFC crown at 3:00. The Los Angeles Rams will host the San Francisco 49ers for the NFC title at 6:30. Hear both games on 99.3 The Lift.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tomorrow – girls basketball – Calumet at Hancock – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – hockey – Calumet at Hancock – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – boys basketball – Houghton at Ishpeming – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Friday – Trenton Showcase hockey – Calumet v St. Ignatius – 11:15 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Friday – Trenton Showcase hockey – Houghton v Brighton – 6:00 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – Trenton Showcase hockey – Hancock v Rockford – 9:50 pregame bonus coverage on KBear 102.3.
• Saturday – Trenton Showcase hockey – Houghton v Orchard Lake St. Mary – 10:10 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Friday – Trenton Showcase hockey – Calumet v Grosse Pointe South – 11:30 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.