In high school football last night…
– Calumet suffered its first loss of the season, 15-14 to unbeaten Iron Mountain. The Mountaineers put the game away with a touchdown and two-point conversion with five minutes remaining. Calumet made it close when Scott Loukus connected with Peter Larson for a touchdown with two minutes left. The two-point conversion narrowed the gap to one point, but Iron Mountain then held on for the victory.
– Houghton got past Gogebic 12-6. Playing without injured Xander Zapolnik, the Gremlins got on the board first with a 27-yard Ty Halonen run late in the first half. Both teams were hurt by penalties in the second half. The Miners tied the game after a short scoring drive that started when the snap on a Houghton punt went over the punter’s head. Houghton responded with a long touchdown run by Nathan Erva. Erva then made an interception to stop a late Gogebic threat, and seal the win.
– Hancock fell to Westwood 36-23. The Bulldogs scored on an Austin Salani-to-Colton Salani pass, and each Salani ran one in.
– L’Anse lost to Negaunee 36-14. Purple Hornets running back Jonah Dowd left the game early with an injury.
– Ontonagon fell at Rapid River 57-12.
This afternoon, Lake Linden-Hubbell welcomes West Iron County. We’ll provide bonus streaming coverage beginning at 1:10 exclusively through KBear102.com.
See Calumet-Iron Mountain highlights, and scores from around the U.P. here…
In high school volleyball today…
– Houghton competes at the Wright Invitational in Wrightstown, Wisconsin.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell and Jeffers play at the Ironwood-Hurley Invitational.
The Finlandia University volleyball team is hosting its Sisu Classic this weekend. Yesterday, Grace Christian defeated Mount Mary 3-1. The Lions lost 3-0 (25-15, 25-11, 25-14) to Buena Vista. Today, Finlandia starts the schedule against Grace Christian, Buena Vista takes on Grace Christian at 11:00, Buena Vista plays Mount Mary at 1:00, and Finlandia closes the Classic against Mount Mary at 3:00.
The Finlandia women’s soccer team plays at Grace Christian this afternoon.
The Finlandia football team entertains Olivet College today. Pregame coverage begins at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
The Michigan Tech soccer team lost 1-0 at Northwood yesterday. The Huskies play at Ferris State tomorrow.
The Tech volleyball team dropped the first set, then came back to take a 3-1 (22-25, 25-21, 25-21, 25-17) victory at Northwood yesterday. The Huskies have won seven straight matches, and play at Ferris State today.
The Tech football team is off this weekend.
The Northern Michigan University football team entertains Wayne State today.
The MTU hockey team begins its season with non-conference matches at Robert Morris University tonight and tomorrow afternoon.
Both National League divisional playoff series are now tied at a win per team. Yesterday, the Braves blanked the Cardinals 3-0, and the Nationals got past the Dodgers 4-2. Both of those series continue tomorrow.
The American League divisional series opened yesterday, with Justin Verlander and the Astros stopping the Rays 5-2, and the Twins falling to the Yankees 10-4. Both of those series continue today.
The Green Bay Packers visit the Dallas Cowboys for a 4:25 game tomorrow. The Detroit Lions have this weekend off.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.