In high school hockey last night…
• Houghton blanked Bay Port 2-0. Ryan Vlahos and Gaborik Carlson scored in the first period, and Troy Povich earned the shutout in net with 18 saves.
• Calumet dispatched Salem 3-1. Jackson Rilei, Paul Sturos and Cam Anderson each scored for the Copper Kings. Aksel Loukus made 27 saves.
On the hockey schedule today…
• Houghton welcomes Salem. Coverage will begin at 1:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Hancock hosts Bay Port at 1:30.
• Jeffers skates at Manistique.
In girls basketball last night…
• Calumet suffered its first loss of the season, falling 54-50 at Escanaba. The Copper Kings broke out to a 21-8 lead after the first quarter, but were held to just four points in the second quarter, and six points in the third. Marybeth Halonen scored 23 for Calumet and Alexis Strom added 11, but no one else cored more than five. The Eskymoes out-rebounded the Kings 40-28.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City got past Bessemer 57-43.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Ironwood 51-29. Emily Jokela scored 15 for the Lakes. Hanna Vaughn had 13 for the Red Devils.
• Ewen-Trout Creek routed Chassell 61-16. Ally Etelamaki paced Chassell with nine points. Ewen’s Emma Besonen led all scorers with 23.
In boys action…
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City edged Bessemer 64-63.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell lost a squeaker to Ironwood, 61-57 in double overtime. Danny Marcotte led the Lakes with 18.
The Copper Country Christian School boys team fell to the Grand Marais Polar Bears 44-33 last night. Caleb Bach tied a career-high with 18 points and 15 rebounds. Those teams play in Grand Marais again today.
The Houghton swim team hosts Sault Ste. Marie today.
The Michigan Tech hockey team outscored Bemidji State 5-2 last night. Logan Ganie and Eric Gotz scored 40-seconds apart midway through the first period to give the Huskies an early lead. Brian Halonen scored the eventual game-winner in the second. Colin Swoyer provided some insurance early in the third period, and Halonen added a late empty-netter. Blake Pietila made 32 saves. Those teams skate again tonight at 6:07 at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.
The NMU hockey team lost 6-1 to Lake Superior State last night. Those teams face off again tonight in Marquette.
The Finlandia University women’s hockey team earned its first victory in more than three years last night, downing Lawrence University 5-1. The Lions got goals from Cassidy Becia, Aspen Wallin, Jayde Peterson, Breanna Bisek and Arwen Sims. Kayla Savoie-Penton had to make just 13 saves to earn her first win as a Lion. Those teams skate again tonight at 7:45 at the Houghton County Arena.
The Finlandia men’s team fell to the Milwaukee School of Engineering 3-1 last night. The Raiders broke open a scoreless game with a pair of goals late in the second period. Tyler Watungwa got one back for the Lions in the third, but MSOE sealed the win with a late empty-netter. Marcus Gloss made 43 saves, as Finlandia was outshot 43-15. Those teams skate again at 4:00 this afternoon at the Houghton County Arena. Because of Finlandia basketball on 99.3 The Lift, coverage of today’s men’s hockey game will begin at 3:40 on KBear 102.3.
Both Northern Michigan teams will host Northwood today.
Both Finlandia basketball teams will entertain Bay College today – the women at 1:00, and the men at 3:00. Pregame coverage of both contests will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
The Michigan Tech Nordic ski teams are hosting their own invitational this weekend at the Tech Trails. Freestyle races will be held today, with classic competition tomorrow.
The Portage Lake Pioneers fell to the Fox Cities Ice Dogs 5-2 last night. The Pioneers will visit the De Pere Deacons this evening.
The Calumet Wolverines lost the Eagle River Falcons 6-2 last night.
The Detroit Red Wings edged the Pittsburgh Penguins 3-2 in a shootout last night. Givani Smith and Filip Zadina scored in regulation. Lucas Raymond netted the only goal in the shootout. With Thomas Griess still in COVID-19 protocol, Calvin Pickard made 36 saves.
The Wings entertain the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight. Coverage begins at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons fell into a deep hole early, and lost 119-103 to the Orlando Magic last evening. Trey Lyles scored 18 points and Saddiq Bey added 17 for Detroit, but Cade Cunningham was held to just eight points.
The Pistons host the Cleveland Cavaliers tomorrow.
The NFL conference championship games will be played tomorrow. The Cincinnati Bengals will visit the Kansas City Chiefs for the AFC crown at 3:00. The Los Angeles Rams will host the San Francisco 49ers for the NFC title at 6:30. Hear both games on 99.3 The Lift.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Today – women’s and men’s basketball – Bay College at Finlandia University – 12:20 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Today – hockey – Salem at Houghton – 1:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Today – men’s hockey – Milwaukee School of Engineering at Finlandia University – 3:40 pregame on KBear 102.3.
• Monday – girls basketball – Calumet at Hancock – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – hockey – Calumet at Hancock – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – boys basketball – Houghton at Ishpeming – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.