In boys high school basketball last night…
• L’Anse got past Baraga 43-34.
• Ewen-Trout Creek overwhelmed Watersmeet 87-47.
In girls play…
• Calumet overpowered Chassell 93-11. Six Copper Kings reached double figures, led by Alexis Strom with 20 points.
• Ontonagon defeated Bessemer 40-22.
• Baraga outscored L’Anse 62-30.
• Ewen-Trout Creek shut down Watersmeet 60-31.
On the boys schedule tonight…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell welcomes Hancock. The Lakes were originally set to host Republic-Michigamme, but that game was canceled. The Hancock game was moved up from March 1st to fill out Spirit Week.
• Ontonagon tips off at Bessemer.
On the girls schedule this evening…
• Hancock travels to Gwinn.
• L’Anse journeys to West Iron County.
In girls-boys doubleheaders…
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City plays at Jeffers – the girls at 5:45, and the boys at 7:15.
In high school swimming yesterday…
• Houghton at Kingsford – no report.
In high school hockey, Calumet, Houghton and Hancock are downstate for the Trenton MIHL Showcase. On today’s schedule…
• Hancock plays East Grand Rapids at 11:35.
• Houghton meets Brighton. Coverage will begin around 6:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Calumet faces St. Ignatius. The game was originally scheduled for this morning, but has been pushed back to this evening. Coverage will begin around 6:20 on the voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Hancock plays Rockford at 10:10.
• Houghton takes on Orchard Lake St. Mary. Coverage will begin around 10:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Calumet faces Grosse Pointe South. Coverage will start around 11:20 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
The Wisigan Invitational opens tonight at the SDC…
• Negaunee faces Manistique at 6:00.
• Jeffers takes on Merrill at 8:00.
• Merrill plays Negaunee at noon.
• Jeffers faces Manistique at 2:00.
The Michigan Tech hockey team visits St. Thomas tonight and tomorrow night. It’s the Huskies’ first trip to Mendota Heights since 1929.
The NMU hockey squad travels to Bemidji State tonight and tomorrow.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team visits Marian University for games tonight and tomorrow afternoon.
The Finlandia women’s team has the weekend off.
The Michigan Tech basketball teams split their games at Purdue Northwest last night…
• The women fell 93-89 in overtime. Ellie Mackay scored 27 for the Huskies.
• The men claimed a 65-44 victory. Owen White led Tech with 19 points. Trent Bell grabbed 15 rebounds.
Both Tech teams play at Wisconsin-Parkside tomorrow.
Both NMU teams visit Purdue Northwest tomorrow.
Both Finlandia basketball teams host Maranatha Baptist tomorrow. The women’s game begins at 2:00, and the men’s at 4:00. Doubleheader coverage will begin at 1:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
The women’s team also entertains Christopher Newport University from Newport News, Virginia, Sunday. The start time has been moved up from 3:00 to 1:00. Coverage will start at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
The Calumet Wolverines will play a home-and-home series against the Marquette Mutineers this weekend. Tonight’s game will be in Marquette. Tomorrow’s contest will be in Calumet. At tomorrow’s game, the Wolverines will retire the jersey of longtime coach Bruce “Cukie” Coppo. The Colosseum doors will open at 6:30. The ceremony will begin shortly before the puck drops at 7:30.
The Portage Lake Pioneers visit the Eagle River Falcons tomorrow night.
The Detroit Red Wings are off until Wednesday, when they visit the Philadelphia Flyers. Coverage begins at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons lost to the Minnesota Timberwolves 128-117 last night. Saddiq Bey scored 21 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for Detroit. Jerami Grant added 20 points.
The Pistons host the Boston Celtics tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Today – Trenton Showcase hockey – Calumet v St. Ignatius – 11:15 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Today – Trenton Showcase hockey – Hancock v East Grand Rapids – 11:15 – pregame on 97.7 The Wolf.
• Today – Trenton Showcase hockey – Houghton v Brighton – 6:00 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tomorrow – Trenton Showcase hockey – Hancock v Rockford – 9:50 pregame bonus coverage on KBear 102.3.
• Tomorrow – Trenton Showcase hockey – Calumet v Grosse Pointe South – 11:30 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tomorrow – college basketball – Maranatha Baptist women at Finlandia – 1:40 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Tomorrow – college basketball – Maranatha Baptist men at Finlandia – 3:40 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Sunday – basketball – Christopher Newport at Finlandia women – 12:40 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Tuesday – hockey – Calumet at Marquette – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Thursday – Wing Ding basketball doubleheader – Hancock boys and girls at Houghton – 5:25 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.