In high school hockey, Calumet, Houghton and Hancock are downstate for the Trenton MIHL Showcase. Yesterday…
• Hancock defeated East Grand Rapids 5-2. Calvin Heinonen scored two goals and added two assists for the Bulldogs. Todd Anderson and Chad Nordstrom each had a goal and two assists, and Dominick Pizzi scored a goal. Isaak Pietila made19 saves.
• Houghton fell to Brighton 4-3.
• Calumet lost to St. Ignatius 3-2. Paul Sturos and Gabe Mattila scored for the Copper Kings. Aksel Loukus made 31 saves.
• Hancock plays Rockford at 10:10.
• Houghton takes on Orchard Lake St. Mary. Coverage will begin around 10:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Calumet faces Grosse Pointe South. Coverage will start around 11:20 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
The Wisigan Invitational opened last night at the SDC…
• Negaunee defeated Manistique 3-1.
• Jeffers downed Merrill 6-2.
• Merrill plays Negaunee at noon.
• Jeffers faces Manistique at 2:00.
In boys high school basketball last night…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell outscored Hancock 51-39. Marcus Sutherland led the Lakes with 17 points.
• Jeffers thumped Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 89-46. For the Jets, Johnny Schutz scored 19 points, and Levi Frahm had 13. For the Blue Bolts, A.J. Datto had 17 points, and Ty McCrum added 10.
• Ontonagon lost to Bessemer 60-45.
In girls play last evening…
• Hancock stuffed Gwinn 66-23.
• Jeffers got past Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 42-34. Sara Johnson scored 22 for the Jets, and Taylor Heinonen added 14. Ashlee Datto had 19 for the Blue Bolts.
• The L’Anse – West Iron County game was postponed to February 18th.
Both Copper Country Christian School teams lost at Watersmeet…
• The girls fell 40-14. Nora Holmes grabbed 20 rebounds, but none of the Warriors scored more than four points.
• The boys lost 73-44. Daba Holmes scored 15 for the Warriors, and Caleb Bach added 12 points and collected 13 rebounds.
The Michigan Tech hockey team couldn’t hold an early lead, and skated to a 3-3 tie at St. Thomas last night. The Huskies claimed the bonus CCHA standings point in a shootout. Goals by Trenton Bliss, Tommy Parrottino and Justin Misiak gave Tech a 3-1 advantage early in the third period, but two late goals by the Tommies tied the contest. After a scoreless overtime period, Brian Halonen and Trenton Bliss scored in the shootout. Blake Pietila made 11 saves. Those teams skate again tonight in Mendota Heights.
The NMU hockey squad edged Bemidji State 2-1. Those teams meet again tonight in Minnesota.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team lost 4-0 at Marian University last evening. Those teams play again this afternoon.
The Finlandia women’s team has the weekend off.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams play at Wisconsin-Parkside this afternoon.
Both Northern teams visit Purdue Northwest today.
Both Finlandia basketball teams host Maranatha Baptist this afternoon. The women’s game begins at 2:00, and the men’s at 4:00. Doubleheader coverage will begin at 1:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
The women’s team also entertains Christopher Newport University from Newport News, Virginia, tomorrow. The start time has been moved up from 3:00 to 1:00. Coverage will start at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
The Calumet Wolverines lost 5-4 to the Marquette Mutineers last night. Those teams skate again tonight in Calumet. At tonight’s game, the Wolverines will retire the jersey of longtime coach Bruce “Cukie” Coppo. The Colosseum doors will open at 6:30. The ceremony will begin shortly before the puck drops at 7:30.
The Portage Lake Pioneers visit the Eagle River Falcons tonight.
The Detroit Red Wings are off until Wednesday, when they visit the Philadelphia Flyers. Coverage begins at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Wings have named Shawn Horcoff as the team’s new assistant general manager. Horcoff has been Detroit’s director of player development for the past six seasons. He’ll also serve as general manager of the Grand Rapids Griffins. Horcoff replaces Pat Verbeek, who was recently named general manager of the Anaheim Ducks.
The Detroit Pistons lost 102-93 to the Boston Celtics last night. Hamidou Diallo scored 21 points and grabbed 14 rebounds. Saddiq Bey also scored 21.
The Pistons visit the Minnesota Timberwolves tomorrow.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Today – Trenton Showcase hockey – Houghton v Orchard Lake St. Mary – 10:10 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Today – Trenton Showcase hockey – Calumet v Grosse Pointe South – 11:30 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Today – college basketball – Maranatha Baptist women at Finlandia – 1:40 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Today – college basketball – Maranatha Baptist men at Finlandia – 3:40 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Tomorrow – basketball – Christopher Newport at Finlandia women – 12:40 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Tuesday – hockey – Calumet at Marquette – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Thursday – Wing Ding basketball doubleheader – Hancock boys and girls at Houghton – 5:25 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.