In high school hockey last night…
• Calumet blanked Jeffers 4-0. Jackson Rilei had a goal and two assists. Cliff Jurmu, Dan Loukus and Paul Sturos each scored. Aksel Loukus and Bruce Parisot made 20 saves in the combined shutout for the Copper Kings. Simon Rajala stopped 26 shots for the Jets. The win gave the Copper Kings a share of first place in the Great Lakes Conference, along with Marquette.
The regular hockey season has ended. The playoffs begin Wednesday with the regional semifinals at the SDC. Houghton will face Hancock at 5:30, and Calumet will play Jeffers at 7:30. Coverage of both games will begin at 5:10 on KBear 102.3.
In boys basketball last night…
• Houghton downed Bessemer 59-41.
• The Calumet-Gwinn game was postponed – no make-up date has been announced.
• Hancock lost at Iron Mountain 73-40.
• L’Anse downed West Iron County 63-37.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City dispatched Baraga 60-39.
• Ewen-Trout Creek at Ontonagon – no report.
In girls action last evening…
• L’Anse fell at West Iron County 43-36.
• The Dollar Bay-Tamarack City game at Baraga was postponed – no make-up date has been provided.
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell game at Bessemer was postponed to February 25th.
At the U.P. high school diving championships yesterday at Marquette, Houghton’s Quinn Aho won the boys title, and set a new U.P. finals record for high score, with a 269.90 – five points better than the previous record set by Gwinn’s Matt Akerley in 2003. Houghton will compete at the U.P. swimming championships at Marquette today.
Michael Karow’s goal 84 seconds into overtime lifted the Michigan Tech hockey team to a 3-2 victory at Ferris State last night. Ryland Mosley and Tristan Ashbrook scored during regulation. Blake Pietila made 26 saves. Those teams skate again tonight in Big Rapids.
The Northern Michigan hockey team doubled up Bowling Green 6-3 last night. Those teams face off again tonight in Ohio.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team fell 3-0 to Concordia-Wisconsin yesterday afternoon. Kayla Savoie-Penton had 27 saves for the Lions. Finlandia wraps up its regular season against Concordia-Wisconsin this afternoon at 2:30 at the Houghton County Arena. Coverage will begin at 2:10 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams will host Wayne State this afternoon – the women at noon, and the men at 2:00.
Both Northern Michigan teams welcome Saginaw Valley State today.
The Michigan Tech Nordic ski team competes at the NCAA Central Region Championships in Duluth this weekend. The classic 5/10K will be run today, and the skate 15/20K tomorrow.
The the Portage Lake Pioneers lost 6-4 to the Eagle River Falcons last night. Brett Hauswirth scored twice, and Neeco Belanger and Josh Browning each had one goal. The Pioneers welcome the West Bend Bombers tonight, with an 8:15 faceoff.
The score of the Calumet Wolverines’ game against the Bombers last night was not reported. The Wolverines host the Falcons this evening at 7:30 at the Colosseum.
The Detroit Red Wings are off until Wednesday, when they host the Colorado Avalanche. Coverage will begin at 7:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
After the All-Star break, the Detroit Pistons host the Cleveland Cavaliers Thursday night. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Major League Baseball spring training is now officially delayed. Officials canceled the first week of spring games yesterday, after a negotiating session on Thursday dissolved after just 15 minutes. Owners are locking out the players until a new labor agreement is reached.
Tom Clements is returning to the Green Bay Packers as quarterback coach. Clements spent 11 seasons with the Pack, as quarterback coach, and then offensive coordinator and assistant head coach. After leaving Green Bay following the 2016 season, he joined the staff of the Arizona Cardinals. Last month, he announced his retirement, but the Packers persuaded him to return, as part of their effort to keep quarterback Aaron Rodgers with the team.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Today – women’s hockey – Concordia-Wisconsin at Finlandia – 2:10 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Monday – basketball – Houghton girls at Hancock – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Wednesday – hockey regional semifinal doubleheader – Houghton v Hancock (5:30 faceoff), Calumet v Jeffers (7:30 faceoff) – 5:10 pregame on KBear 102.3
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.