In high school baseball yesterday…
• Houghton v Ontonagon – no report.
• Houghton, Calumet and L’Anse compete at the Negaunee Invitational.
Houghton swept the Houghton County track and field invitational yesterday.
• On the girls side, Calumet finished second, followed by Dollar Bay-Tamarack City, Lake Linden-Hubbell, Hancock, Chassell and Jeffers. For the Gremlins, Ingrid Seagren won the 1600 and 3200-meter runs. Calumet’s Caitlyn Strom claimed the long jump and the high jump. Lake Linden’s Emily Jokela took the 200 and 400-meter dashes, and the 300-meter hurdles.
• On the boys side, Calumet placed second, followed by Lake Linden-Hubbell, Dollar Bay-Tamarack City, Jeffers, Chassell and Hancock. Dryden Nelson of Calumet set a new school record in the 100-meter dash, and also won the 200 and the long jump. Richard Probst of the Copper Kings won the 110 and 300-meter hurdles. Nikolas Thomas of the Blue Bolts claimed the 1600 and 3200-meter runs.
See full results here.
L’Anse competed at the Negaunee Lions Invitational. The boys came in ninth, and the girls tied for seventh. See full results here.
Arvid Caderoth and Brett Thorne have been named captains of the 2022-23 Michigan Tech hockey team. Logan Pietila and Ryland Mosley will serve as alternate captains.
NHL opening-round playoff action continued last evening.
In the Eastern Conference…
• The Rangers got past the Penguins 5-3. That series is tied 3-3.
• The Panthers edged the Capitals 4-3 in overtime. Florida wins the series 4-2.
In the Western Conference…
• The Stars doused the Flames 4-2. That set is tied 3-3.
In the Eastern Conference today…
• The Hurricanes welcome the Bruins. That series is tied 3-3.
• The Maple Leafs welcome the Lightning. That set is tied 3-3.
In the Western Conference tonight…
• The Kings visit the Oilers. That series is tied 3-3.
The NBA conference semifinal playoffs continued yesterday…
• In the Eastern Conference, the Celtics outscored the Bucks 108-95. That series is tied 3-3.
• In the Western Conference, the Warriors ousted the Grizzlies 110-96. Golden State takes that series 4-2.
There will be no games played today.
Miguel Cabrera homered, as the Detroit Tigers defeated the Baltimore Orioles 4-2 yesterday. Eduardo Rodriguez pitched into the seventh, giving up five hits and no runs. Will Vest earned his first major league save.
The Tigers host the Orioles again this afternoon. Michael Pineda will pitch against Bruce Zimmermann. Coverage will begin at 3:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers edged the Miami Marlins 2-1 last evening. Kolton Wong homered in the first inning. Jace Peterson drew a bases-loaded walk to drive in the winning run in the top of the ninth. Corbin Burnes gave up a run on five hits over seven innings.
The Brewers play in Miami again this afternoon. Eric Lauer will start against Trevor Rogers.
Milwaukee reliever Brent Suter is away from the team on paternity leave. Jandel Gustave has been called up to fill in.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.