In high school baseball today…
• Houghton plays at Jeffers.
• Calumet travels to Iron Mountain.
• Hancock hosts Ontonagon.
• L’Anse visits Lake Linden-Hubbell.
In softball today…
• Houghton visits Negaunee.
• Hancock hosts Westwood.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell journeys to Gogebic.
• L’Anse travels to Ironwood.
• The Ontonagon Invitational will be played today.
Lake Linden-Hubbell Schools have announced their Outstanding Athlete Awards for 2022.
Marcus Sutherland won the Male Athlete Award. He earned 12 varsity letters in football, basketball, track, baseball and golf, and garnered post-season honors in football and basketball. Marcus is also the Class of 2022 salutatorian, and plans to study mechanical or civil engineering at Michigan Tech.
Camaryn Crouch earned the Female Athlete award. She received nine varsity letters in volleyball, basketball, and track, with numerous post-season honors. She holds the Copper Mountain Conference pole vault record. Camaryn also plans to attend Michigan Tech, to major in Psychology.
Slow Pitch Softball
Play begins tonight in the Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League. Nine teams are competing this summer.
• At the Hancock Driving Park, A and S Industrial/Loukus Tech faces Downtowner Two at 6:15, then takes on Auto Pro/Thermoanalytics at 7:30.
• At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Koppers meets Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s at 6:15, and then plays Sayen’s Auto/Coca Cola at 7:30.
The NHL conference semifinals continued yesterday.
In the Eastern Conference…
• The Lightning trounced the Panthers 5-1. Tampa Bay leads the series 3-0.
• The Rangers got past the Hurricanes 3-1. Carolina leads that set 2-1.
In the Western Conference…
• The Oilers doused the Flames 4-1. Edmonton takes a 2-1 lead in that series.
In the Eastern Conference tonight…
• The Lightning host the Panthers.
In the Western Conference this evening…
• The Blues welcome the Avalanche. Colorado leads the series 2-1.
In the NBA Western Conference finals last night, the Warriors defeated the Mavericks 109-100. Golden State leads the series 3-0.
The Eastern Conference finals continue tonight, as the Heat visit the Celtics. Miami leads that set 2-1.
The Detroit Tigers downed the Cleveland Guardians 4-2 yesterday. Alex Faedo pitched into the sixth, gave up two runs, and earned his first major league win. Javier Báez homered.
The Tigers open a series at Minnesota tonight. Beau Brieske will pitch against Chris Archer. Coverage will begin at 7:20 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers lost to the Washington Nationals 8-2 yesterday. Freddy Peralta gave up five runs over three innings, then left the game with shoulder tightness. He’ll be examined today, and is probably headed to the injured list.
The Crew hosts the San Diego Padres tonight. Adrian Houser will start against Nick Martinez.
Copper Country Horseshoe League play starts tonight…
• Dreamland Two faces Dreamland One at the Dreamland Bar.
• Ahmeek Fire Department takes on Loading Zone at the Drift Inn.
• Rocky’s hosts Calumet One at Rocky’s Bar.
• Calumet Electronics plays Drift Inn at Ahmeek Park.
• Harter’s Party Store meets L and L at the Calumet Dam.
• Bucko’s Party Store faces 41 Lumber at the Gipp Recreation Area.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.