The Detroit Tigers’ four-game winning streak ended with an 8-4 loss to the Chicago White Sox last evening. The Sox took control early, scoring four runs off Tyler Alexander in the first inning. Austin Romine homered for Detroit.
The Tigers wrap up that series this afternoon in Detroit. Matthew Boyd will pitch against Dylan Cease. Coverage will begin at 12:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers came from behind to claim a 6-4 victory over the Minnesota Twins last evening. Manny Piña hit two home runs, and Avisail Garcia and Jedd Gyorko each hit one out. Josh Lindblom gave up all four Minnesota runs over four innings.
That series wraps up this evening in Milwaukee. Eric Lauer will start against Kenta Maeda.
In Copper Country Twilight League Baseball last night…
• Dean Kangas State Farm defeated Garnet Garage-Subway 7-6 in the conclusion of a game that was suspended on July 21st. Garnet then won the regularly-scheduled contest 6-2.
• Superior National Bank-Stanton downed REL-Mohawk Technology 11-1 to conclude their game that was suspended July 21st. REL then won the regularly-scheduled match 5-1.
The Stanley Cup playoffs opened last night…
• The Lightning outlasted the Blue Jackets 3-2 in five overtimes.
• Because the Tampa Bay-Columbus game went so long in Toronto, the contest between the Bruins and the Hurricanes was postponed, and will be played this morning.
• The Flames edged the Stars 3-2.
• The Golden Knight downed the Blackhawks 4-1.
In other games at Toronto today…
• The Islanders face the Capitals.
• The Canadiens take on the Flyers.
On today’s schedule in Edmonton…
• The Coyotes play the Avalanche,
• The Canucks meet the Blues.
The Big 10 and the PAC-12 have become the first major college conferences to cancel their fall football seasons. Concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic brought about the decisions yesterday. The Southeastern Conference and the Atlantic Coast Conference aren’t ready to follow suit. Both released statements yesterday saying they still hope play can take place. The fifth of the so-called Power Five conferences – the Big 12 – had no immediate response.
Locally, Finlandia University has already canceled all of its fall sports. Michigan Tech and other GLIAC schools still hope to play conference-only schedules.
The 18th annual Joe Evans Classic golf scramble will be held at the Portage Lake Course on Saturday. A shotgun start will take place at 10:00. The cost is $225.00 per three-person team. Proceeds benefit Omega House, which provides end of life care to Keweenaw residents. To sign up, call Omega House at 462-4438, or click here.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.