Click on the highlights scores for more game details.
In girls basketball district championship games last night…
• In Division Two, Kingsley defeated Boyne City 44-29. The Stags will face Houghton in the regional semifinal Tuesday at Manistique. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• In Division Three, Negaunee upended Hancock 47-44 in double overtime. The Miners advance to face West Iron County. The Bulldogs close their season with a fine record of 20-2.
• In Division Four, District 98, Baraga got past Lake Linden-Hubbell 55-48.
• In Division Four, District 97, Ewen-Trout Creek downed Ironwood 54-40. The Vikings and Panthers will meet in the regional semifinal game Tuesday at 7:00 at Houghton High School.
Houghton will face Escanaba in the state hockey tournament quarterfinals today at 1:00 at Lakeview Arena in Marquette. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
The Central Collegiate Hockey Association tournament best-of-three quarterfinal series began last night…
• Second-seed Michigan Tech blanked seventh-seed St. Thomas 1-0. Blake Pietila turned in his 10th shutout of the season, stopping 30 shots. Brett Thorne scored the game’s only goal. Game two of that series will begin tonight at 6:07 at the SDC.
• Fourth-seed Northern Michigan scored four goals in the third period, and defeated fifth-seed Bemidji State 7-3.
• Top-seed Minnesota State cruised past eighth-seed Lake Superior State 6-1.
• Sixth-seed Ferris State surprised third-seed Bowling Green 4-3 in overtime.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Association basketball tournament semifinals will be played today.
The women’s competition takes place at Grand Valley State in Allendale.
• Top-seed Grand Valley will face fifth-seed Saginaw Valley State at 2:00.
• Second-seed Michigan Tech will play sixth-seed Ferris State at 4:30.
The men’s competition will take place at Ferris State in Big Rapids.
• Second-seed Ferris will meet third-seed Northern Michigan at 3:00.
• Fifth-seed Grand Valley will play eighth-seed Michigan Tech at 5:30.
Three Huskies have earned All-GLIAC women’s honors. Isabella Lenz and Ellie Mackay were placed on the first team. Lenz was also named to the all-conference defensive squad. Alex Rondorf joined Lenz on the defensive team, and was named to the all-conference second team.
Dan Gherezgher was named to the All-GLIAC men’s second team.
The Calumet Wolverines lost to the Marquette Mutineers 5-3 last night. Those teams met again this evening at 7:30 at the Colosseum.
The Portage Lake Pioneers visit the Eagle River Falcons tonight.
The L’Anse Winter Classic Hockey Tournament will be played today and tomorrow at Meadowbrook Arena. Weekend spectator passes are $5.00 for adults, and $3 for kids ages 6 through 17. Veterans are admitted free. See the schedule here. Money raised will support maintenance and operations of the Meadowbrook and Baraga Ice Rinks.
The Red Wings visit the Islanders this afternoon. Coverage will begin at 12:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
Just ahead of the trading deadline, the Wings traded Oskar Sundqvist to the Minnesota Wild yesterday, in exchange, for a fourth-round pick in the 2023 Draft.
The Pistons visit the Cavaliers this evening. Coverage will begin at 7:05 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers earned two Grapefruit League victories yesterday. One squad defeated the Phillies 6-3. Riley Green, Jake Rogers, Matt Vierling and Colt Keith homered. Starter Eduardo Rodriguez gave up just one hit over three scoreless innings. The other squad got past the Yankees 5-3. Zack Short homered.
The Tigers face the Blue Jays this afternoon. Spencer Turnbull will start against former Tiger Drew Hutchison.
The Brewers lost to the Guardians 7-4 yesterday. Andruw Monasterio homered. Starter Bryse Wilson gave up a hit over two innings.
The Brewers will play the Giants this afternoon. Freddy Peralta will start.
Ryan Anderson leads the CopperDog 150 after the opening stage Friday night. Anderson holds a slim 96-second advantage over Michael Bestgen after the run from Calumet to Eagle Harbor. Defending champion J.R. Anderson is third. Stage two of the three-stage race will begin this morning at 9:00 in Eagle Harbor.
Lynne Witte built an eight-and-a-half minute advantage over Joann Fortier in the first stage of the CopperDog 80 last evening. The final stage of that race will also begin this morning at 9:00 in Eagle Harbor.
Martha Schouweiler cruised to an easy win in last night’s CopperDog 30. She finished nearly 11 minutes ahead of Steve Goedken. It is Schouweiler’s fifth career CopperDog victory.
Among local mushers:
• In the 150, Sarah Tarlton is fifth, Tom Bauer is in seventh place, and Maddie Longpre-Harrer is 16th.
• In the 80, Wade Canavan is 9th, and Alyssa Sarlund 10th.
• In the 30, Jerry Trudell finished third. Susan Serafini placed eighth. Suz Harris was ninth, Chad Grentz 10th, and Becky Bean 11th. Haley Marchese finished 17th.
See full results here.
The single-stage CopperDog 15 sprint will take place at 3:00 this afternoon in Copper Harbor.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Today – Houghton hockey faces Escanaba in the state quarterfinals at Lakeview Arena in Marquette. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Monday – Houghton boys basketball will play at Negaunee in a district quarterfinal. Coverage will begin at 5:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tuesday – Houghton girls basketball will face either Kingsley or Boyne City in a regional semifinal at Manistique. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Wednesday – Calumet boys basketball will play at Westwood in a district semifinal. Coverage will begin at 5:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com