There’s still no agreement on a Major League baseball season. The latest reports indicate the players still want a 70-game regular season. The owners have offered 60 games. The executive committee of the players’ association was expected to reject the owners’ proposal yesterday, but the vote was delayed after news broke of a COVID-19 outbreak within MLB.
Five Philadelphia Phillies players have tested positive for COVID-19 infection, along with some other staff members. Several other teams are awaiting test results on people who have exhibited symptoms. Spring training facilities for all teams have been closed, and teams have been instructed to hold further workouts at their home facilities.
It’s not just baseball that’s being hit. Three Tampa Bay Lightning players and a couple of staffers have tested positive, as the NHL hopes to reopen its season within a few weeks. One member of the Toronto Maple Leafs has also tested positive. In the NFL, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have closed their facility because of a positive test. The spike in COVID-19 cases in Florida has the NBA reconsidering its plan to complete its season exclusively in Orlando. In college football, at least 30 LSU players, 23 Clemson players and 14 Kansas State players have tested positive.
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball action tonight…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Koppers will meet Coca Cola/Monte Carlo at 6:15, and then face Bucko’s/Labatts at 7:45.
– At the Hancock Driving Park, Downtowner will play McGann’s/Northern Auto at 6:15, and then take on Auto Pro/Thermoanalytics at 7:45.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play tonight…
– Dreamland One meets Dreamland Two at the Dreamland Bar.
– Rocky’s Bar will play Calumet One at the Drift Inn.
– Ahmeek Fire Department will take on Loading Zone at Rocky’s Bar.
– Harter’s Party Store will play L and L at the Calumet Dam.
– Calumet Electronics will face Drift Inn at Agassiz Park.
– 41 Lumber will meet Bucko’s Party Store at the Gipp Recreation Area.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.