Click on the blue highlights for additional details.
In high school hockey last night…
– Houghton shut down Escanaba 5-1. Kevin Bostwick scored twice for the Gremlins, and Dawson McKay added a goal and two assists.
– Calumet and Utica Eisenhower skated to a 2-2 tie.
In hockey today…
– Houghton hosts Utica Eisenhower.
– Jeffers entertains Escanaba.
In boys basketball last night…
– Ewen-Trout Creek got past Bessemer 63-59. Jake Witt had 31 points and 12 rebounds for the Panthers.
In girls play last night…
– Houghton slipped past West Iron County 55-53. Kendra Monette stole an inbound pass with three seconds remaining, and then hit two free throw to win the game. Kara Pietila scored 28 for the Gremlins.
– Chassell swamped Lake Linden-Hubbell 54-29. Milly Allen scored 26 for the Panthers, and Sydney Danison added 15. Erin Seppala led the Lakes with 10 points.
– Ontonagon dispatched Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 58-32.
– L’Anse downed Baraga L’Anse 51-40.
In girls action today, Calumet plays at Jeffers. The game was rescheduled from December 5th. The JV contest will start at 1:00, and the varsity will tip off around 2:30.
The Houghton swim team competes at Marquette today.
The Finlandia women’s basketball team lost 89-38 to the fourth-ranked host Dutchmen in the opening game of the Hope College Post Exam Jam in Holland, Michigan, last night. Kelsie Richards scored 11 for the Lions. Finlandia will take on Wheaton College in the consolation game of the tournament today. The Lions will play at Great Lakes Christian College tomorrow.
The Finlandia men’s hoops team plays at Rochester College today.
The Lions women’s hockey team fell 7-1 at Wisconsin-Superior last night. Kait Ryynanen scored the Lions’ only goal. Annah Smiddy gave up five goals through two periods. Mary Hill allowed two scores in the final period, as the Lions were outshot 55-15. Those teams skate in Superior again this afternoon. The men’s hockey team is off until after the holidays.
The Michigan Tech hockey team blanked Lake Superior State 3-0 last night. Robbie Beydoun earned his first career shutout by stopping 25 shots. Brent Baltus gave the Huskies an early lead. Third period goals by Jake Lucchini and Alex Smith sealed the win. Tech will host the Lakers again tonight at 7:07 at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.
The NMU hockey team pounded Ferris State 6-1 last night. The Wildcats host the Bulldogs again tonight.
The Tech men’s and women’s basketball teams play at Northern Michigan tomorrow afternoon.
In Great Lakes Hockey League action…
– The Calumet Wolverines host the Marquette Mutineers tonight at 7:30 at the Colosseum.
– The Portage Lake Pioneers visit the Mosinee Papermakers this evening.
Andre Drummond scored 23 points and grabbed 13 rebounds, as the Detroit Pistons defeated the Indiana Pacers 104-98 last night. It was the second win in a row for Detroit, and the 500th career victory for coach Stan Van Gundy. The Pistons entertain the Orlando Magic tomorrow afternoon.
The Detroit Red Wings gave up an early goal, then stormed back to beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-1 last night. Danny DeKeyser and Trevor Daley each scored their first goals of the season for Detroit, and Tomáš Tatar also found the net. Jimmy Howard stopped 25 shots to earn the win. The Wings are off until Tuesday, when they visit the New York Islanders. Coverage begins at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Lions entertain the Chicago Bears this afternoon. Kickoff is at 4:30 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers visit the Carolina Panthers tomorrow for a 1:00 game.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.