In girls high school basketball last night…
• Calumet smothered Marquette 64-31. Jana Loukus led the Copper Kings with 18 points, and Laina Kariniemi added 14.
• Ontonagon stopped Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 61-36.
• The Chassell-Watersmeet game was postponed – no make-up date has been announced.
In the boys play last night…
• Jeffers shut down Hancock 73-22. Andrew Kinnunen scored 17 for the Jets, Johnny Schutz added 15 and Levi Frahm 13. Three Bulldogs each scored six points.
On the boys schedule this evening…
• Hancock welcomes West Iron County.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City visits Ontonagon
In boys-girls doubleheaders tonight…
• Houghton entertains Jeffers. The girls game will tip off at 5:45, with the boys to follow. JV games will be played in the middle school gym.
• Baraga hosts Wakefield-Marenisco, with the girls at 5:45 and the boys following.
• L’Anse welcomes Ewen-Trout Creek.
• The Ironwood at Lake Linden-Hubbell games have been postponed because of projected cold weather in Ironwood. No make-up date has been announced.
In high school hockey tonight…
• Calumet entertains Negaunee. Coverage will begin at 5:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
In Alpine skiing…
• Houghton competes at the Marquette Invitational today.
Make-up dates for the Michigan Tech-Northern hockey series that was postponed last weekend have been set. The teams will meet Tuesday, February 1st in Houghton, and Tuesday, February 8th in Marquette. The Huskies are ranked 18th in the nation this week. The Wildcats are rated 20th.
Michigan Tech’s Ellie Mackay has been named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Division Women’s Basketball Player of the Week. Mackay totaled 46 points in the Huskies’ games against Grand Valley State and Davenport last week. It’s her second award this season.
Finlandia University’s Katie Lundeen has been named the Coast-To-Coast Athletic Conference Women’s Basketball Player of the Week. Lundeen scored 31 points as the Lions defeated Maranatha Baptist Saturday. She’s the first basketball player from Finlandia to earn the award.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Chicago Blackhawks tomorrow. Coverage begins at 7:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons host the Denver Nuggets tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
With just four teams remaining in the NFL playoffs, the draft order for the remaining 28 has now been locked in. The Detroit Lions will pick second, behind the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Green Bay Packers will have the 28th pick.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tonight – hockey – Negaunee at Calumet – 5:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Thursday – boys basketball – Calumet at Houghton – 7:00 pregame on KBear 102.3.
• Friday – hockey – Salem at Calumet – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Friday – hockey – Bay Port at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – hockey – Salem at Houghton – 1:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – hockey – Milwaukee School of Engineering men at Finlandia – 4:10 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.