American League Wins All-Star Game
Miguel Cabrera’s two-run homer powered the American League to a 5-3 victory in the All-Star Game last night. The evening belonged to Derek Jeter, the longtime captain of the New York Yankees… who singled and doubled in his final summer classic. Jeter received a standing ovation when he made his first trip to the plate… and a two-and-a-half minute standing ovation when he left the game in the fourth inning. Mike Trout drove in runs with a double and triple, and was named the game’s Most Valuable Player.
Max Scherzer of the Tigers pitched a scoreless fifth inning for the American League, and was named the winning pitcher. Ian Kinsler struck out in his only plate appearance.
Jonathan Lucroy of the Brewers had two hits, and drove in two runs for the National League. Aramis Ramirez also had two hits. Carlos Gomez was hitless in two plate appearances. Francisco Rodriguez pitched a scoreless fifth inning.
The Tigers return to action Friday at home against Cleveland. The Brewers resume play Friday at Washington.
Twilight League Baseball
In Twilight League Baseball play last night…
– Brian Juopperi’s sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 10th inning lifted BlueSky Health to a 9-8 victory over the Stanton Wildcats. Ray Wojtala earned the complete-game victory. Brian Juopperi and Jason Koski each homered for BlueSky.
– Wolverine-Orbit scored three runs in bottom of sixth inning, and got past Pat’s Foods 9-5. Josh Gomez went the distance to get the win for Wolverine. Lee Naugle homered for Pat’s.
Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball play tonight…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium… Osmose meets Pat’s Foods/ThermoAnalytics at 6:15. Post 90/Lakes Lounge faces Nutini’s at 7:30.
– At Hurontown… Bucko’s/Labatts takes on Auto Value at 6:15… then plays The Marley Bar at 7:30.
– At the Hancock Driving Park… North Pointe Trucking faces The Goal Post at 6:15. 906/Pilgrim River Steakhouse plays. Erickson Crowley Peterson at 7:30.
Former Wildcat Signs With Colts
Former Northern Michigan University offensive lineman Chad Anderson has signed a free agent contract witht the Indianapolis Colts. Anderson was a four-year letterwinner with the Wildcats, after playing high school ball at Sault Ste. Marie.