In high school boys basketball last night…
– Calumet lost to Negaunee 58-34.
– Baraga got past Hancock 58-54.
– Chassell shaded Lake Linden-Hubbell 72-68.
– Jeffers outscored Republic-Michigamme 72-52.
– L’Anse downed Ontonagon 48-38.
– Ewen-Trout Creek lost to Wakefield-Marenisco 68-51.
In girls action last evening, Dollar Bay-Tamarack City lost to Watersmeet 50-41.
On the girls schedule tonight…
– Hancock plays at L’Anse.
– Houghton hosts Jeffers.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell welcomes Bessemer.
– Chassell tips off at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City.
– Baraga entertains Republic-Michigamme.
– Ewen-Trout Creek hosts Wakefield-Marenisco.
In high school hockey this evening…
– Hancock skates at Kingsford.
– Houghton welcomes Negaunee. Coverage will begin around 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
The Michigan Tech hockey team is ranked 19th in this week’s USCHO poll. That’s two slots below last week after the Huskies lost one and tied one against Bowling Green over the weekend. Bowling Green rose to 15th in the survey. Northern Michigan University is ranked 17th this week.
The Detroit Pistons lost 117-110 to the New Orleans Pelicans in overtime last night. Derrick Rose led Detroit with 23 points.
The Pistons visit the Boston Celtics tomorrow. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Red Wings visit the New York Islanders tonight. Coverage begins at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Wings goalie Jonathan Bernier will miss at least the next five games because of his lower body injury. The team has not specified what the injury is, but coach Jeff Blashill said yesterday that Bernier won’t return until after the upcoming All-Star break.
The Detroit Lions will hire Cory Undlin as their new defensive coordinator. Undlin has been the defensive backs coach for the Phildelphia Eagles for the past five years. Before that, he was an assistant under current Lions head coach Matt Patricia with the New England Patriots.
The Detroit Tigers have signed veteran starting pitcher Ivan Nova to a one-year deal. Nova made 34 starts for the White Sox last season, and finished with a record of 11-12 with a 4.72 ERA. Detroit designated pitcher Matt Hall for assignment to open space on the 40-man roster.
Louisiana State University won the college football championship game last night, 42-25 over Clemson. Heisman Trophy winner Joe Burrow threw for five touchdowns, and ran for another.
Our Finlandia University athletics coverage continues tomorrow night, when the Lions men’s basketball team entertains Wisconsin-Superior. The pregame show will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.