In high school baseball yesterday…
• Houghton took two games at Kingsford, 11-1 and 5-3. Kade Farrell was the winning pitcher in the opener, and John Horning got the win in the nightcap.
• Calumet at Northland Pines – no report.
On the baseball schedule today…
• Calumet at Ontonagon – canceled.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at Merrill.
In high school softball yesterday…
• Hancock at Houghton – canceled.
• Calumet at Northland Pines – canceled.
• Baraga entertains Ironwood – canceled.
The Finlandia baseball team is scheduled to play doubleheaders at Wisconsin-Whitewater today and tomorrow.
The Finlandia men’s basketball team has added a new recruit. Devin Schieble is transferring in from UW-Green Bay Sheboygan, where he averaged 20 points per game as a freshman.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team has released it schedule for this fall. The Huskies will open the season in California, at the Cal State Monterey Bay Tournament at the end of August. They’ll compete at the Parkside tournament in Wisconsin Labor Day weekend. The Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference schedule includes matches against Northern Michigan University September 20th in Marquette, and October 25th in Houghton.
See the full schedule here.
Opening-round NBA tournament play continued last evening.
In the Eastern Conference…
• The Atlanta Hawks edged the Miami Heat 111-110. Miami leads that series 2-1.
• The Milwaukee Bucks shut down the Chicago Bulls 111-81. Milwaukee leads that set 2-1.
In the Western Conference…
• The Phoenix Suns slipped past the New Orleans Pelicans 114-111. Phoenix leads that series 2-1.
In the Eastern Conference today…
• The Toronto Raptors host the Philadelphia 76ers. Philly is up 3-0 in that series.
• The Boston Celtics visit the Brooklyn Nets. Boston leads that set 2-0.
In the Western Conference today…
• The Utah Jazz welcome the Dallas Mavericks. Dallas leads that series 2-1.
• The Memphis Grizzlies visit the Minnesota Timberwolves. Memphis leads that set 2-1.
The Detroit Red Wings entertain the Pittsburgh Penguins this afternoon.
The Detroit Tigers and Colorado Rockies were rained out last night.
The game will be made up as part of a day-night doubleheader today. In the first contest, Tariq Skubal will start against Antonio Senzatela. Coverage begins at 12:50 on 99.3 The Lift. In the nightcap, Beau Brieske will make his major league debut for Detroit against Austin Gomber. Coverage will start at 6:20 on 99.3 The Lift.
Yet another Tiger has landed on the injured list. Outfielder Victor Reyes is out with a left quad strain. Derek Hill has called up to replace him. Hill was activated from the injured list Thursday, and had initially been assigned to Toledo.
The Milwaukee Brewers lost 4-2 to the Philadelphia Phillies last night. Freddy Peralta turned in an effective start, giving up a run on three hits over five innings. The Phillies won it with three runs in the bottom of the eighth inning off Alan Ashby and Brad Boxberger.
The Brewers play in Philadelphia again this afternoon. Adrian Houser will start against Zack Wheeler.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.