Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school volleyball this evening…
• Houghton plays at Hancock. Coverage begins around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Calumet visits L’Anse. Coverage begins around 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Chassell visits Dollar Bay-Tamarack City.
• Jeffers travels to Wakefield-Marenisco.
• Ontonagon hosts Ironwood and Watersmeet in a triangular.
• Ewen-Trout Creek welcomes Bessemer.
In cross country…
• Houghton, Calumet and Hancock compete at the Tracy Strom Invitational at Ishpeming today.
Finlandia’s men’s soccer team lost 1-0 at Great Lakes Christian College yesterday. The Crusaders scored the game’s only goal 15 seconds into the contest. The Lions play at Albion College this afternoon.
The Finlandia volleyball team entertains Bay College this evening at 7 at the Paavo Nurmi Center.
Miguel Cabrera’s two-run homer in the first inning was all the Tigers needed in a 2-1 victory over the Royals last evening. Scheduled starter Matt Manning was pulled at the last moment because of arm fatigue. Will Vest gave up a run in the opening inning, and six relievers kept Kansas City off the board after that.
The Tigers have won five straight, and host the Royals again this afternoon. Eduardo Rodriguez will start against Jonathan Heasley. Coverage begins at 12:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Manning will probably not pitch again this season.
The Brewers kept their Wild Card hopes alive with a 5-1 victory over the Cardinals. Brandon Woodruff struck out 10 over six scoreless innings. Victor Caratini had two hits and drove in two runs.
The Brewers entertain the Marlins this evening. Eric Lauer will pitch against Braxton Garrett.
The Phillies lost, so Milwaukee officially trails Philadelphia by a half-game games in the race for the final National League Wild Card playoff berth. However, since the Phillies own the tiebreaker against the Brewers, Milwaukee is functionally 1.5 games back, with seven games remaining in the regular season.
As expected, the Brewers placed pitcher Adrian Houser on the injured list with a groin strain. Justin Topa has been brought up from Nashville.
In tonight’s NFL game, the Dolphins visit the Bengals. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Please have your picks in The Wolf Pro Football Challenge turned in by noon today at one of our sponsors.
The Red Wings lost to the Blackhawks 4-2 in NHL pre-season play last night. Adam Erne scored both Detroit goals. Former Michigan Tech standout Jujhar Khaira had a goal and an assist for Chicago.
Detroit hosts the Capitals tomorrow night. Listen for regular-season Wings games on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tonight – Houghton volleyball plays at Hancock. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tonight – Calumet volleyball plays at L’Anse. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Tomorrow – Calumet football plays at Iron Mountain. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Saturday – Finlandia University football hosts Northwestern (MN). Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.