Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play last night…
• Bucko’s/Labatts edged Sayen’s Auto/Coca Cola 18-16, and then beat Downtowner Two 29-9.
• Koppers downed Auto Pro/Thermoanalytics 20-7, and then defeated Pat’s Foods/Buckos 27-6.
Twilight League Baseball
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball tonight…
• At the Hancock Driving Park, REL-Mohawk Technology faces Craig Heinonen Coldwell Banker.
• At the Stanton field, Superior National Bank-Stanton plays Northern Driveline.
The Finlandia University football team has inked a new recruit. Caleb Dodds is a defensive lineman from Davenport, Iowa.
In NBA tournament second-round play last night…
• The Nets dismantled the Bucks 125-86. Brooklyn leads that series 2-0.
• The Suns stopped the Nuggets 122-105. Phoenix opens a 1-0 lead in that series.
• The 76ers host the Hawks, Atlanta leads that set 1-0.
• The Jazz host the Clippers in the opening game of their series.
In NHL tournament second-round play yesterday…
• The Islanders edged the Bruins 5-4. New York leads that series 3-2.
• The Canadiens shaded the Jets 3-2 in overtime. Montreal sweeps that series 4-0.
• The Hurricanes welcome the Lightning. Tampa Bay leads that set 3-1.
• The Avalanche welcome the Golden Knights. That series is tied 2-2.
The Detroit Tigers and Milwaukee Brewers both had yesterday off.
The Tigers begin a home set against the Seattle Mariners tonight. Matthew Boyd will start against Marco Gonzales. Coverage begins at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers open a series in Cincinnati this evening. Adrian Houser will pitch against Sonny Gray.
Milwaukee has sent struggling Keston Hiura back to the minors for the second time this season. No announcement has been made about who’ll be called up.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play last evening…
• Dreamland One downed Bucko’s 7-2.
• Calumet One defeated Loading Zone 7-2.
• Rocky’s edged Ahmeek Fire Department 5-4.
• L and L stopped Calumet Electronics 8-1.
• Harter’s shut down Drift Inn 8-1.
• 41 Lumber outscored Dreamland Two 7-2.
The Keweenaw Bay Showdown Fishing Tournament will take place Saturday, offering minimum $1,000 prizes for the top lake trout and salmon catches. The tournament is filling in for the Keweenaw Bay Classic at the Baraga County Lake Trout Festival, which was called off again this year because of COVID-19 concerns. Register and get details at Woodland Firearms or Wilkinson’s General Store in Baraga, Indian Country Sports in L’Anse, or Northwoods Sporting Goods in Hancock.
Our high school softball tournament coverage continues Saturday, as Hancock faces Ishpeming in the regional semifinal. Coverage from Rapid River will begin around 12:10 – or earlier, depending on the length of the first semifinal – on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.