Click on the highlighted scores for full stories.
MLB – Tigers’ Slide Continues
The fading Detroit Tigers lost to the Oakland Athletics 6-1 last night. Anibal Sanchez gave up three runs in the second inning, and another in the fourth. He settled down, and completed seven innings in the loss. Detroit batters managed only two hits off Oakland starter Sonny Gray during his eight innings of work. The Tigers’ sole run came when Miguel Cabrera doubled home Jose Iglesias in the ninth. The Tigers have lost six in a row, and nine of their last 11.
That set wraps up in Detroit this afternoon. Shane Greene will start against Jesse Hahn. Hear the first pitch at 1:08 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
The Milwaukee Brewers gave up five runs in the first inning, and lost to the Saint Louis Cardinals 7-4 yesterday. Jimmy Nelson gave up all seven runs over five innings, and took the loss.
Milwaukee third baseman Hector Gomez had to leave yesterday’s game after he hit his head while falling into the stands as he chased a foul ball. Team officials say he did not suffer a concussion.
The Brewers have today off, and open that series at Minnesota tomorrow night. Kyle Lohse will start against Kyle Gibson.
Copper Country Slow Pitch
In Copper Country Slow Pitch League softball action last night…
– at Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Bucko’s/Labatts gave B & B Bar/Daytona Body Shop 10 runs in the first inning, then roared back for a 27-12 victory. Joel Vertin and Brad Anderson homered. Bucko’s then rolled over Tech 37-14. Anderson hit another homer, Matt King and Jack Benson each hit one out, and Jordan Johnson clubbed three home runs.
– At Tapiola, The Marley Bar got past Nutini’s 9-6. Luke Paul homered. Matt’s Auto Glass shut down Auto Value 17-1.
– At Hurontown, Erickson Crowley Peterson scored 18 runs in the first inning, and shut down Post 90/Lakes Lounge 23-2. The result of Erickson Crowley Peterson’s game against Downtowner 2 was not reported.
– The results of McGann’s/Northern Auto’s games against Monte Carlo/Coca Cola and The Library/ThermoAnalytics were also not turned in. Late results may be available here.
In Copper Country Twilight League action tonight…
– At the Hancock Driving Park, Wolverine/Orbit meets Pat’s Foods/Mosquito Inn
– At the Stanton Field, Blue Sky Health plays the Stanton Wildcats.
Red Wings to Name Coach Next Week?
Several Detroit media outlets are reporting that the Detroit Red Wings will name Jeff Blashill as their new head coach next week. Blashill has been considered the strong front-runner for the job. The team elected not to move forward while he was still coaching their Grand Rapids Griffins farm team in the AHL playoffs. The Griffins were eliminated Tuesday.
Calumet Hockey Golf Outing Deadline Tomorrow
The Calumet Copper King golf tournament will be held June 13th at the Calumet Golf Course. The cost is $150.00 per three-person team, which includes 18 holes of golf and dinner. The registration deadline is tomorrow. To sign up, call the Calumet High School Athletic Department at 337-0311, extension 2204; or email email@example.com.