Morning Sports for Thursday, June 5th:
MLB: Tigers Miss Opportunities; Fall to Jays
The Tigers’ struggles continued Wednesday night with an 8-2 loss to the Blue Jays. The game was close until the late innings. Rick Porcello turned iona quality start… giving up three runs over seven innings. He left trailing by one run, and took the loss. Detroit loaded the bases in the fourth and sixth innings… but couldn’t score either time. Toronto put the game away with five runs over the final two innings.
The Tigers wrap up that home set against the Blue Jays this afternoon. Justin Verlander will face J.A. Happ. Hear the first pitch at 1:08 on AM 1400, WCCY.
The Tigers confirmed yesterday that shortstop Jose Iglesias will miss the entire season. Doctors say Iglesias is recovering from stress fractures in both shins. They believe he’ll be ready for next season. With that knowledge in hand, Detroit called up shortstop Eugenio Suarez from Toledo yesterday. Suarez had been with the Mudhens only two weeks, after starting the season at Erie.
Brewers Lose to Twins
Aramis Ramirez returned from the disabled list to hit a three-run homer… but the Brewers fell to the Twins 6-4. His blast in the top of the seventh inning tied the game… but Minnesota scored twice in the bottom of the inning to retake the lead.
The Brewers and Twins play again tonight in Minnesota. Wily Peralta will start against Kevin Correia.
Copper Country Slow Pitch League
In Copper Country Slow Pitch League play last night…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Bucko’s/Labatts shut down Auto Value 18-3. Matt Hampton had five hits for Bucko’s. Bucko’s/Labatts then used a 20-run fourth inning to beat Coca Cola/Miller’s Recreation 29-10. Jordan Johnson had five hits, and Matt King homered.
– At Hurontown, the score from 906/Pilgrim River Steakhouse game against Nutini’s was not reported. The Goal Post got past Osmose 14-12.
– At the Hancock Driving Park, North Pointe Trucking tied Post 90/Lakes Lounge by scoring three runs in the top of the seventh… but Post 90 scored in the bottom of the seventh to take a 19-18 victory.Joe Rivest had three hits and scored four runs for Post 90. Erickson Crowley Peterson stopped The Marley Bar 25-4. Jason Van Straten had five hits. Buddy Londo and Tim Loftquist homered.
Follow the Copper Country Slow Pitch League here.
Twilight League Baseball
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball tonight…
– At the Stanton Field, the Wildcats host Wolverine/Orbit.
– At the Toivola Field, Mosquito Inn entertains BlueSky Health.
Follow the Twilight League here.
Red Wings Extend Blashill
The Detroit Red Wings have signed the coach of their top minor league team to a new three-year contract. Jeff Blashill has been credited with helping to develop many of the young players Detroit relied on last season as the team experienced a rash of injuries.
Lions Sign Van Noy
The Detroit Lions have signed linebacker Kyle Van Noy… who was their second-round pick in this year’s NFL draft. It’s a big week for Van Noy… who will marry former Miss Utah Marissa Powell on Saturday. The only unsigned player from Detroit’s draft is their top pick… tight end Eric Ebron.
To make sure your team’s scores are included in morning sports, send them to email@example.com.