Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
The boys basketball season opened last evening…
• Calumet shut down Bessemer 41-22.
• L’Anse lost to Ontonagon 51-43.
In girls action last night…
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell – Chassell game was postponed because of illness on the Chassell team. No make-up date has been set.
• Jeffers lost to Watersmeet 42-37. Sara Johnson 14 led the Jets with 14 points.
On tonight’s boys schedule…
• Houghton entertains Kingsford – the varsity game begins at 5:45.
• Calumet hosts Dollar Bay-Tamarack City.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell visits Ewen-Trout Creek.
On the girls’ schedule…
• Houghton welcomes L’Anse – coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City journeys to Stephenson.
• Ontonagon visits Bessemer.
• Ewen-Trout Creek hosts Northland Pines.
In a girls-boys doubleheader…
• Baraga plays at Jeffers, with the girls at 5:45, and the boys at 7:15.
In high school hockey tonight…
• Calumet skates at Marquette. Coverage will begin at 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Jeffers entertains Kingsford.
The Finlandia men’s basketball team entertains Wisconsin-Superior tonight at 7:00. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
Former Michigan Tech hockey player Steve Jensen has died. Jensen was a member of the 1975 NCAA championship team. He went on to play professionally for the North Stars and the Kings, and he led the 1976 Olympic team in scoring. He then spent 30 years as a hockey coach and teacher. Jensen passed away November 29th at age 67.
The Red Wings visit the Lightning tonight. We’ll join the game after Finlandia basketball on 99.3 The Lift.
The Pistons visit the Heat this evening.
Last night, Tom Brady tossed two touchdown passes in the final three minutes, as the Buccaneers came back to beat the Saints 17-16.
If you played The Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have selected at least 12 games correctly to be eligible to become our weekly winner.
At the baseball winter meetings, new Tigers general manager Scott Harris told reporters last night that he’s not looking for short-term solutions for the teams problems. He said this season will focus on providing opportunities to the team’s young players.
Detroit manager A.J. Hinch said yesterday that Gary Jones will take over as the team’s third base coach. Alfredo Amezaga was recently hired to take over at first base. Former third base coach Ramón Santiago has been assigned to other duties within the organization.
Former Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander has agreed to a two-year, $88 million contract with the Mets.
Former Detroit pitcher Rick Porcello has confirmed his retirement at age 33. Porcello won a Cy Young Award with the Red Sox, but had struggled in his last several seasons, and had not pitched since 2020 with the Mets.
Major League Baseball’s first amateur draft lottery will be held tonight. All 18 teams that did not make the playoffs have a chance at the number-one pick. The Nationals, Athletics and Pirates have the best odds. The Tigers have the sixth-best chance. The Brewers have the worst chance.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tonight – Calumet hockey skates at Marquette. Coverage will begin at 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Tonight – Houghton girls basketball entertains L’Anse. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tonight – Finlandia women’s basketball hosts Wisconsin-Superior. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
- Tomorrow – Houghton hockey entertains Hancock. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Thursday – Calumet boys basketball hosts Jeffers. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Houghton hockey hosts Saginaw Heritage. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Saturday – Houghton hockey hosts Kingsford. Coverage will begin at 11:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.