In high school baseball yesterday…
– Houghton defeated Iron Mountain 11-1.
– L’Anse lost to Negaunee 8-7 and 8-5.
In baseball this afternoon…
– Calumet entertains Negaunee
– Jeffers hosts Ontonagon
In softball yesterday…
– Houghton and Calumet split a doubleheader. The Copper Kings took the first game 18-9. The Gremlins scored the winning run in the top of the seventh to claim the second contest 7-6.
– Hancock v Jeffers – not reported.
– L’Anse and Ishpeming split a twinbill, with the Purple Hornets losing game one 9-3, and taking the nightcap 14-3.
In softball today…
– Calumet welcomes Westwood.
– L’Anse hosts Negaunee.
In high school track, at the Copper Country Invitational at Houghton yesterday…
– Calumet won the boys meet. Houghton placed second, followed by Lake Linden-Hubbell, Dollar Bay-Tamarack City, Ontonagon, Chassell, Hancock, L’Anse, West Iron County, and Baraga. Jensen Schneiderhan of the Copper Kings won the 110 and 300-meter hurdles. Joe Wood of the Gremlins claimed the 1600 and 3200-meter runs. The Lakes’ Cole Gregoire won the high jump and the long jump.
– Houghton won the girls meet, with Lake Linden-Hubbell placing second. Ontonagon was third, followed by Hancock, Calumet, West Iron County, Chassell, L’Anse, Baraga, and Dollar Bay-Tamarack City. Anabel Needham of the Gremlins won the 1600 and 3200-meter runs, and the long jump. The Lakes won the 4×100 and 4×200-meter relays. L’Anse’s Kyra Sipe took the 100 and 200-meter dashes.
In high school golf, local teams compete at the Hancock Bulldog Invitational today.
Slow Pitch Softball
The Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League began play last night…
– Carquest blanked Luigi’s 20-0, then defeated Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s 24-10.
– McGann’s/Northern Auto downed Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics 16-6.
The Detroit Tigers lost to the Houston Astros 8-1 last night. Matthew Boyd struggled through four innings, gave up three runs, and took the loss. Victor Alcántara allowed two more runs in the seventh, and Reed Garrett gave up three in the ninth. Tigers batters were held to just five hits.
The Tigers will host the Astros again tonight. Ryan Carpenter will start against Wade Miley. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers couldn’t hold an early lead, and dropped a 7-4 decision to the Philadelphia Phillies last night. Starter Freddy Peralta gave up just two runs, but lasted only four innings. Mike Moustakas hit his 10th home run.
The Brewers visit the Phillies again this evening. Brandon Woodruff will pitch against Jerad Eickhoff.
In the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs yesterday, the Saint Louis Blues defeated the San Jose Sharks 4-2. The Western Conference final is tied 1-1.
The Boston Bruins visit the Carolina Hurricanes tonight. Boston leads the Eastern Conference final 2-0.
In NBA playoff action, the Western Conference final begins tonight, as the Portland Trail Blazers visit the Golden State Warriors.
Former Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has died. Cunningham also served as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. He was 72, and had been battling cancer.
Our high school softball coverage continues tomorrow, as Jeffers plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell. The broadcast will begin at 3:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.