In local high school volleyball tournament play last night…
– In Division Two, Houghton’s season ended with a 3-0 loss to Escanaba.
– In Division Three, Calumet won its district title with a 3-0 victory over L’Anse. The unbeaten Copper Kings will face Negaunee in the regional semifinals Tuesday.
– In Division Four, Chassell claimed the district crown with a 3-0 win over Lake Linden-Hubbell. The Panthers advance directly to the regional final next week. As winners of District 97, they would have played the winner of District 98 in the regional semifinal, but that district was shut down because of the COVID-19 pause for schools in Ontonagon and Gogebic Counties. Chassell’s next game will be next Thursday.
In high school football tournament district semifinals this weekend…
– In Division Six, Calumet plays at Menominee tonight. On the field this season, the Maroons are 2-2, with easy wins over Marinette and Gladstone, and a pair of losses to Marquette. They had a bye in the opening round of the playoffs last week. The Copper Kings are 3-2 on the field, and are coming off a 38-16 victory over Houghton in the opening round of the playoffs last week. Coverage of tonight’s game begins at 6:40 on KBear 102.3.
– In Eight Player Division Two, Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at North Central tomorrow. The Lakes are hoping to avenge a 34-22 loss to the Jets earlier this fall. Lake Linden is 4-1 on the field this season, and advanced with a 48-8 victory over Forest Park last week. The Jets opened the playoffs with a 74-6 win over Engadine. Coverage of tomorrow’s contest begins at 1:40 on KBear 102.3.
NBA players have given tentative approval to a plan that would open the regular season on December 22nd. There are some details yet to be worked out, including some salary issues. The 72 regular-season games falls short of the 82 games in a typical schedule. The playoffs would stretch into the summer.
In last night’s NFL game, Aaron Rodgers threw four touchdown passes, as the Packers cruised past the 49ers 34-17. Davante Adams caught 10 passes for 173 yards. Both of San Francisco’s touchdowns came late in the game.
On Sunday, the Lions visit the Vikings for a 1:00 game. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit has put safety Jalen Elliott on the reserve/COVID-19 list. The list is for players who have either tested positive for the coronavirus, or been in close contact with someone who has. Quarterback Matthew Stafford is also on that list, apparently because of a personal contact. Stafford’s wife, Kelly, revealed yesterday that their entire family has tested negative. If he does not test positive himself, he is eligible to return for Sunday’s game.
In the Sunday night contest, the Buccaneers host the Saints. In the Monday night game, the Patriots visit the Jets. Hear both broadcasts on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.