On the opening night of the boys high school basketball tournament…
– In Division Two, Houghton’s season ended with a 69-53 loss to Menominee. Brad Simonson scored 30 for the Gremlins.
– In Division Three, Calumet got past West Iron County 46-40. The Copper Kings will play at L’Anse in a district semifinal tomorrow night. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com. Hancock lost to Ironwood 68-44. Vandan Jacques led the Bulldogs with 16 points. The Red Devils will entertain Iron Mountain in the other district semifinal tomorrow. The Mountaineers dispatched Norway 77-46 last night.
– In Division Four, District 98, Chassell advanced with a 60-48 victory over Lake Linden-Hubbell. The Panthers will host Baraga in one semifinal tomorrow at 7:00. Dollar Bay-Tamarack City will play at Jeffers in the other, also at 7:00.
– In Division Four, District 97, Dakota Laingren’s long three-pointer at the buzzer lifted Ontonagon to a 49-48 win over Wakefield-Marenisco. The Gladiators will face Ewen-Trout Creek in one semifinal tomorrow night at 6:00. Watersmeet and Bessemer will meet in the other at 7:30. Both games will be played at Ontonagon.
In girls regional semifinal games tonight…
– In Division Three, Calumet faces Westwood at 6:00 at Marquette. Our broadcast will begin around 5:35 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com. Charlevoix plays Oscoda in the other regional semifinal at Cheboygan.
– In Diversion Four at Kingsford – Baraga plays Munising at 6:00 Eastern Time. L’Anse meets Carney-Nadeau at 7:45.
Ashton Janke of Dollar Bay-Tamarack City has been named the Boys Most Valuable Player in the Copper Mountain Conference. The Blue Bolts’ Jesse Kentala shared Coach of the Year honors with Ontonagon’s Brittany Jilbert-Turin.
The Blue Bolts’ Davin Hill was named to the Elite Team, along with Jaden Borseth from Ewen-Trout Creek, Morgan Miskovich from Wakefield-Marinesco, Bill Rautiola from Chassell, and Christian Hocking from Jeffers.
Chassell’s Karl Rautiola was added to the Copper Country Division First Team. Additional players on the Porcupine Mountain Division First Team include Anthony Metas from Bessemer, Alex Kissel from L’Anse, and Logan Latvis from Ontonagon.
Local players on the Copper Country Division Second Team include Caleb Gregoire and William Lyons from Lake Linden-Hubbell, Connor LeClaire from Dollar Bay, and Johnny Schutz from Jeffers. Honorable mention votes went to Steele Jondreau from Baraga, Dean Pietila from Chassell, and Austin Kinnunen from Jeffers.
Local players on the Porcupine Mountain Division Second Team include Luke Soumis from Ontonagon. Eli Ostermayer and Paul Jacobson from L’Anse earned Honorable Mention votes.
See the full roster here.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
Three Michigan Tech hockey players have earned WCHA weekly honors. After their upset sweep of Northern Michigan University in the opening round of the playoffs, Tommy Parrottino was named top forward, Matt Jurusik top goalie, and Logan Pietila the top rookie.
Finlandia University will host a community party for the women’s basketball team, which recently won the school’s first-ever ACAA championship. All community members are invited to the Paavo Nurmi Center today at 5:00. They’re promising plenty of cake and glow sticks.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Carolina Hurricanes tonight. Coverage begins at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Wings have signed defenseman Alex Biega to a one-year contract extension. Biega joined the team in October, in a trade with the Vancouver Canucks.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Philadelphia 76ers tomorrow. Coverage starts at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
In spring baseball yesterday, the Houston Astros scored a run in the ninth inning, and edged the Detroit Tigers 2-1. Prospect Tarik Skubal started for Detroit, and gave up a run before leaving in the third inning.
The Tigers play the Pittsburgh Pirates this afternoon.
Luis Castro’s home run in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted the Milwaukee Brewers to a 2-1 victory over the Seattle Mariners last night. Lorenzo Cain also homered. Starter Corbin Burnes gave up a run over four innings.
The Brewers play the Kansas City Royals today.
The Calumet hockey team faces Detroit Country Day in the state high school tournament quarterfinals Friday afternoon. Pregame coverage begins at 1:05 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.