Calumet opened its hockey season with a 3-1 victory over Hancock in the first game of the Copper Island Classic last night. The Copper Kings scored a goal in each period. Jackson Rilei found the net twice, and added an assist. Tom Erkkila had a goal and an assist. Calvin Heinonen scored the Bulldogs’ goal in the third period, with an assist from Paul Olson. In net, Aksel Loukus made 23 saves for the Copper Kings, and Dan Wroblewski stopped 24 shots for the Bulldogs. Calumet takes a two-goal advantage into the second game of the total-goals classic tonight at the Colosseum. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Half of Michigan’s 11-player high school football championships have been decided. At Ford Field yesterday…
• In division eight, Hudson outscored Beal City 14-7.
• In division six, Lansing Catholic got past Warren Michigan Collegiate 14-6.
• In division four, Chelsea battled past Hudsonville Unity Christian 55-52.
• In division two, Warren DeLaSalle shut down Traverse City Central 41-14, in a game that went into running time.
On today’s schedule…
• In division seven, Pewamo-Westphalia will take on Lawton at 10:00.
• In division five, Grand Rapids Catholic Central will meet Marine City at 4:30.
• In division three, Detroit Martin Luther King will take on DeWitt at 7:30.
• In division one, Rochester Adams will meet Belleville at 1:00.
The Michigan Tech hockey team spotted Ferris State an early 3-1 lead, then scored five straight times to claim a 6-4 victory last night. Trenton Bliss had two goals and an assist. Tristan Ashbrook also scored twice, and Brian Halonen had a goal and three assists. Blake Pietila made 18 saves. The Huskies host the Bulldogs again tonight at 6:07.
The Northern Michigan hockey team doubled up Bowling Green 6-3 last night. Those teams skate again tonight in Marquette.
The Finlandia University women’s hockey team skates at Northland College tonight and tomorrow.
The Finlandia men’s team has the weekend off.
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team opened the Dakotah Bank Classic in Aberdeen, South Dakota with a 65-53 win over Minnesota State-Moorhead yesterday afternoon. Katelyn Meister led the Huskies with 17 points, and Alex Rondorf added 15. Tech will face Northern State today.
The Tech men’s team hosts Minnesota-Duluth today at 2:00, and Saint Cloud State tomorrow at 1:00.
The NMU women’s hoops team lost at Saint Cloud State 53-35 yesterday afternoon. The Wildcats will play at Minnesota-Duluth today.
The Northern men’s team welcomes Saint Cloud State today.
The Finlandia women’s team hosts its own Thanksgiving Classic this weekend. Today, the Lions will play Wisconsin-Platteville at 1:00, and Northland College will face Marian University at 3:00. Tomorrow, Wisconsin-Platteville and Marian will play at 1:00, and Finlandia and Northland will tip off at 3:00.
The Finlandia men’s team plays at Rockford today and Beloit tomorrow.
The Detroit Red Wings entertain the Buffalo Sabres tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons lost their fifth straight game yesterday, falling 107-96 to the Los Angeles Clippers. Jerami Grant scored 20 for Detroit.
The Pistons visit the Los Angeles Lakers tomorrow night.
The Green Bay Packers host the Los Angeles Rams in a 4:25 game tomorrow.
Third baseman Eduardo Escobar’s time with the Milwaukee Brewers turned out to be brief. The Crew added Escobar for the pennant run last summer. He became a free agent at the end of the season, and has now signed a two-year deal with the New York Mets.
Upcoming Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tonight – high school hockey – Hancock at Calumet in the Copper Island Classic – coverage at 6:40 on the voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Wednesday – high school hockey – Houghton at Hancock – coverage at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.