Click on the bold highlights for more information.
In high school hockey, Calumet defeated Houghton 5-3 last night.
In high school boys basketball last night…
– Escanaba shut down Houghton 66-25.
– L’Anse fell to West Iron County 58-39.
– Ewen-Trout Creek got past Hurley 70-65.
– Jeffers lost a close game at Wakefield-Marenisco 54-53.
– Chassell outscored Republic-Michigamme 81-50.
In girls play last night…
– Calumet remained unbeaten with a 51-27 victory over Hancock. Hailey Wickstrom led a balanced Copper Kings attack with 12 points.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell stopped Ontonagon 40-27.
– Jeffers got past Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 42-30.
– Baraga edged Chassell 40-37 in overtime.
– Ewen-Trout Creek shut down Republic-Michigamme 43-22.
In the seventh grade basketball tournament at Lake Linden yesterday…
– Chassell edged Stanton 38-36 in the Division II Semifinal. Bereket Gockenbach scored 19 for the Panthers, and Ari Rautiola scored 16 for the Wildcats. Chassell will face Houghton in the Division II Championship game this afternoon. That game had originally been scheduled for 6:45, but has been moved up to 4:00 because of the Chassell Christmas Concert.
– In the Division I Semifinals, Calumet outscored L’Anse 79-37. Davin Hill led the Copper Kings with 21 points, and Alex Kissel scored 16 for the Purple Hornets. Hancock stopped Lake Linden-Hubbell 59-30. Carson Chynoweth scored 17 for the Bulldogs, and Luke Monette had 12 points for the Lakes. Calumet and Hancock will meet in the Division I Championship game this afternoon at 5:30.
The Finlandia men’s basketball team plays at Manchester University this afternoon.
The Detroit Pistons entertain the Boston Celtics tonight. Tip-off is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Detroit Red Wings are off until Friday, when they host the Vancouver Canucks. Faceoff is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Detroit Lions have cut offensive tackle LaAdrian Waddle. They claimed center Gabe Ikard off waivers from the Browns. The Lions also signed veteran free agent tight end Bear Pascoe, to fill in for the injured Brandon Pettigrew.
Our high school basketball coverage continues tomorrow night, when the Calumet boys play at Lake Linden-Hubbell. Our pregame show begins around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.