Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In the regional hockey semifinals last night, Calumet eliminated Jeffers 7-0. Matt Yeo had a hat trick for the Copper Kings. Nick Voelker stopped 22 shots to earn the shutout. Houghton ended L’Anse’s season 8-1. Jakob Kruse scored four goals for the Gremlins, who outshot the Purple Hornets 54-6. The Copper Kings and Gremlins will meet for the regional title Saturday at 1:30 at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena. Our broadcast will begin around 1:10 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In girls basketball tournament play last night…
– In the Class D district at Lake Linden, Jeffers advanced to the title game with a 61-50 victory over Chassell. Julia Nordstrom scored 22 for the Jets, who never trailed. Sydney Danison led the Panthers with 17. Baraga shut down Dollar Bay 49-27. Casey Mleko scored 16 for the Vikings. Carysn Osterman had a triple-double, with 13 points, 14 assists and 12 rebounds. Cami Daavettila scored 14 for the Blue Bolts. Jeffers and Baraga will meet for the district title tomorrow night at 7:00. Our coverage will begin around 6:40 on 97.7 The Wolf and TheWolf.com.
– In the Class C district, Calumet won their third straight title with a 53-40 victory over Hancock. Hailey Wickstrom led the Copper Kings with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Calumet will face Ishpeming in the regional semifinal Tuesday at 8:00 at Marquette. The Hematites upset Munising last night 79-62.
– In the Class B district, Houghton overcame a slow start, and edged Escanaba 48-43. Kendra Monette drained a three-pointer with 66 seconds remaining to put the Gremlins on top for good. She and Sloane Zenner each scored a dozen points. Gladstone edged Kingsford 42-40. The Gremlins will face the Braves for the district title tomorrow night at 7:00 at Houghton. Our coverage will begin around 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In boys regular-season play tonight…
– Jeffers plays at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City. The winner will claim the conference title. We have added that game to our broadcast schedule, and will begin coverage around 7:00 tonight on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Hancock tips off at Calumet.
– Houghton entertains Marquette.
– Baraga travels to Ontonagon.
– L’Anse journeys to Westwood
– Ewen-Trout Creek plays at Bessemer.
The Finlandia baseball team lost 19-4 to St. Mary’s University of Minnesota yesterday. The Lions will continue their spring visit to Orlando with a doubleheader against Waynesburg University today.
The Finlandia University softball team split their games in Clermont, Florida yesterday. The Lions lost to the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology 10-1; then defeated Waynesburg University 8-4. Makenna Lloyd drove in three runs. The Lions will take on Concordia College of Minnesota and Houghton College from New York this morning.
Northern Michigan University has named Mike Lozier as their new head volleyball coach. Lozier has previously been an assistant coach at Wayne State and Grand Valley State.
The Detroit Pistons lost to the New Orleans Pelicans 109-86 last night. Detroit hit just three of 17 free throws. That’s the worst performance ever by an NBA team that got to shoot at least 10. The Pistons play at Philadelphia Saturday night. Tip-off is at 6:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Detroit Red Wings will skate at Calgary tomorrow night. Faceoff is at 9:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
Yesterday, the Wing sent Thomas Vanek to the Florida Panthers. In exchange, they got a third-round pick in this year’s draft, and defenseman Dylan McIlrath. McIlraith will be a free agent at the end of the season.
In Grapefruit League baseball, Michael Fulmer gave up three hits, but allowed no runs in his first start of the spring as half of the Detroit Tigers edged the Toronto Blue Jays 5-4 yesterday. The other half of the Tigers fell to the Nationals 9-1. Mike Pelfrey gave up two runs in his first spring start, and couldn’t complete two innings. The Tigers will face the Pirates this afternoon.
Lucas Erceg drove in the winning run in the bottom of the ninth, as the Milwaukee Brewers edged the Cincinnati Reds 3-2 yesterday. The Brewers will face the Seattle Mariners this afternoon.
Email sports stories and results to email@example.com.